Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Migration of the Alkies

An Annual Migration West Across I-80

Every July an annual migration occurs along the busy corridor of US Interstate 80. This migration begins just east of South Bend, Indiana and ends just west of LaSalle / Peru, Illinois. While this three and half hour journey is perhaps not as important or beautiful, as say the annual migration of Canadian Geese or Sockeye Salmon, it is nonetheless a recurring annual event that attracts hundreds.

The journey typically begins late afternoon on a Sunday during the third or sometimes fourth Sunday of July. One or maybe two vehicles pulling boat racing trailers depart the parking lot of American Legion 223 in Constantine, Michigan to start the journey south along peaceful state highway 31 until it merges into the bustling and some time tumultuous Interstate 80 west. Gradually, the tempo increases, as more and more trailers make the journey up-the-hill from the Lake and begin their trips west. Some will stop for gas or a bit to eat. Others will drive straight through the night. Along the way, teams will recap the weekends racing and formulate the “to do” list that must be completed in order to race the following weekend. A few may call long distance to Italy to order much needed parts, in hopes that these can clear customs and arrive at Paul Bosnich’s house, just in time to save the day. The teams travel singly, in pairs or in caravans. The following day, a surprisingly large legion of fans will also follow in their motor homes and rented cars.

Sometimes it feels that the race to DePue is more important than the races just completed. And why not? At the other end are the coveted, best pit spots!! A short delay could mean the difference between a prime piece of real estate near the water and long trip across the field and down to the water. Of course, there are some that forsake the grand race in Constantine in order to secure the most prime pits spots. We forgive these misguided soles, as most have driven a long, long ways from the far western United States. In their bored delirium, they do not realize that in just another three hours they could smell burning methanol, hear the screaming Alkies and witness the best show on water.

DePue, Illinois has hosted more PRO Nationals and perhaps simply more boat racing nationals than any other town in the US. It is simply the capitol of Alky racing. To win in DePue is the ultimate goal of every competitor in late July. Even as the first trailers begin to arrive Sunday evening in DePue, the local fans are greeting the race teams and inquiring as to the results of the weekend’s racing in Constantine. It is always an energy boost to turn the curve and to see the Welcome to DePue sign that features a racing boat.

There is a sense that you arrived home for the summer, as you pass the closed zinc mine, go over the railroad tracks, turn right at Casey’s and turn into the pits on the left. In just a short time, the Sunday night (Monday morning) peacefulness will be interrupted by the screams of VRP’s, Rossi’s, Konigs, Yamato’s, Konny’s, Loopers and the thump, thump of the antiques racing across Lake DePue.

DePue is one the smallest towns that I have been to in my life, but it has a big heart. The people are warm and welcoming. And they simply love the boat racing and the people who travel from all over the country to see then each year. And this year, they were again rewarded with a hometown victory, as Paulie Bosnich overcame significant adversity to hold-on in the final heat, as he secured a very popular win 125cc runabout over a field of boats stacked with talented drivers and equipment. And feel certain that with this win, the attraction between the town and the Alkies is even further strengthened.

See you next July.
    David Weaver

This is a great write up!!
    Thanks Dave

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
    Tomtall 06

Comment

I forgot....

Originally posted by Kristi Ellison View Post
      This is a great write up!!
      Thanks Dave
      ....to mention the "hotties" driving the hauler and trailer full of boats. They were hanging out the window and yelling at everyone at the Indiana toll booth. Quite entertaining.
      David Weaver

Comment

Race

I heard the race over to Depue between Stahl Racing and Small Racing was real entertaining. One team didn't check into the hotel because they were in the lead. Maybe Tim can fill us in a little more.
        JP

Comment

When They Blew By Me The Duramax Was Leading
          I COULD USE PAT WRIGHT'S PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS

Comment

Pete check the PRO web site it is listed in the Tech manual under the commision info.

Kristi

Dave
            I heard those chicks in the big rig were real hot trucker babes!!!
            I know you concur!!!!

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
            Tomtall 06

Comment

Originally posted by David Weaver View Post
              ....to mention the "hotties" driving the hauler and trailer full of boats. They were hanging out the window and yelling at everyone at the Indiana toll booth. Quite entertaining.
              Too funny!
              APBA Region 5 Dive/Rescue

Comment

Weaver:

You have too much free time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Comment

Weaver

Sounds like someone is jealous of your free time

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

Tomtall 06

Comment

Well, it was 3 1/2 hour drive

Originally posted by Joe J View Post
                    Weaver:

You have too much free time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Not much to do between Constantine and Depue, so I thought this up. I had more content, but this is a family oriented web-site, so I left out the attempted shenanigans in the C-139 tow vehicle!!!

David Weaver

Comment

Working...
                    X