Collin Thirlby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collin Thirlby

Sorry we should have posted earlier. But to keep folks from hyjacking the other thread, will do it now.

Collin Thirlby had a snowmobile accident on Feb 20th (I think that is the right date), His snowmobile went airborn over a steep hill and dropped 60 ft. He shattered a vertebrate in his back. They did surgery on the 22nd and inserted a titanium cage where the vertebrate had been. Surgery was successful and a full recovery is anticipated.

Collin is very lucky, this could have been much worse. His snowmobile was split in half from the impact. He has had a lot of support from his hockey teammates and friends in Traverse City.

Collins address is 5391 Breezehill Dr. Traverse City Mi 49684

He should be out of the hospital by now or is expected to go home soon, maybe Brandon will come in and give us more details.

Our Prayers to Colin and strength to the Thirlby family. Get better fast Colin!
    The Payn family

Comment

Newspaper Article on Collin

Thirlby injured in accident
      Second-leading scorer for West in snowmobile crash
      BY DENNIS CHASE

dchase@record-eagle.com

Thirlby TRAVERSE CITY — Traverse City West will be without Collin Thirlby, its second-leading scorer, when the Division 1 state hockey tournament gets under way Monday night.

Thirlby is scheduled to undergo surgery today at Munson Medical Center after shattering a vertebrae in his lower back following a snowmobile accident Tuesday night.

Thirlby, who has movement in his arms and legs, was in good spirits Thursday as he awaited surgery.

The 17-year-old junior was snowmobiling with teammate Mike Markin when his sled went airborne over a steep hill.

"It (terrain) went down and then flattened out and he landed way out in the flats,” Markin said. "He probably went 100 feet (airborne) from the lip of the hill to where his snowmobile hit the ground.”

Markin, who was trailing Thirlby, said it was getting dark when he saw the taillights on Thirlby's sled drift off.

"I was like, 'Oh my God,'” he said. "I didn't see (Thirlby land), but when I got to the top of the hill I knew it was bad. I tried to get down that hill as fast as I could.”

The impact split Thirlby's snowmobile in half.

Ed Thirlby, Collin's father, said it was about a 60-foot vertical drop.

"He flew all the way to the bottom,” Ed Thirlby, said. "It was like falling out of a building. His body couldn't absorb the hit.”

When Markin reached Thirlby he asked him how he felt and what he wanted to do.

"He said, 'Take me home,'” Markin said. "He said his back was sore. He got on the back of my snowmobile and we drove back to his house. He was in pain, that's for sure.”

The impact shattered the No. 5 vertebrae in Thirlby's back.

"They (doctors) said it burst,” Ed Thirlby said. "When you look at the X-ray, there are what look like square blocks going down (the back) and then there's one that's destroyed. You see pieces all over.”

Two surgeons will work to repair the damage in an operation that could last eight hours, Ed Thirlby said.

"They say there's about a five to eight percent chance (of a problem),” Ed Thirlby said. "Of course, we'd like it to be one in a million. But we'll take it. It (injury) could have been worse.”

Markin said his friend is "optimistic.”

"His odds are pretty good,” he said.

Once Markin got Thirlby home, Collin called his father. Ed Thirlby was picking up his younger son Tyler from a Squirt youth hockey practice at the time.

"He was complaining of a sore back,” Ed Thirlby said. "He met me at the door (to go to the hospital). I knew then something wasn't right because he's a tough kid.”

West hockey coach Anthony Palumbo, who also coaches youth hockey, was leaving a PeeWee practice Tuesday night when he checked his cell phone for messages. Traverse City Central hockey coach Chris Givens, who coaches Tyler, had called to tell him Collin had been hurt.

"I have a personal relationship with Collin and his family,” said Palumbo, who first coached Thirlby on a youth team about seven years ago.

"I've known him since he was this high,” added Palumbo, holding his hand out waist high. "I've been shaken by this. This is more about life than hockey. I want to see him come back healthy — with a full life ahead of him. My thoughts and prayers are with Collin and his family.”

Palumbo and Givens — along with West and Central players — have been in constant touch with the Thirlbys since the accident.

"He's in good spirits considering,” Palumbo said.

Ed Thirlby said his family is appreciative for the outpouring of support.

He said that although Central and West are rivals on the ice, they are close knit off. Many of the players, he said, were teammates in the travel hockey program.

"I know last year when Central made its run (to a state championship), Collin was excited for them,” Ed Thirlby said. "There was no jealousy. Those kids have a tight bond ... and a lot of that goes back to the coaches. They're class acts.”

Palumbo said Wednesday's practice was "muted.” The Titan coach said he was "struggling” with Thirlby's injury and it was his players who picked him up.

"I've been proud of this group for a long time so that shouldn't have come as a surprise,” he said. "We had a short team meeting. We gave the boys a chance to voice their feelings. They were upset, but Collin had let his feelings be known, too. He wanted them to go out and play hard and do what we as a team set out to do before the beginning of the season.

"(After that) we had a pretty focused practice. It was a great reaction by the boys and a great show of support by Collin.”

West, 18-5-1 and ranked No. 4 in Division 1, faces Manistee in its district opener Monday night at Howe Arena.

Thirlby was second on the team in scoring with 14 goals and 23 assists. He had a plus-22 rating

"We still want to have a strong run, and we feel we can win a state championship, but our primary concern right now is Collin and his long-term health,” Palumbo said.

Markin said the Titans want to win a state title for Thirlby.

"We want it for Collin,” he said. "We definitely have a chance to win states. Losing Collin is a blow, but we would sure like to do it for him.”

Comment

Update Please

Newspaper article is from the 22nd, how is Collin today?
        Is he home yet? Did his hockey team win state or is the tournement still going on? Thanks

Comment

Does this mean that Joe and I will not be able to "communicate" (with hand signals) with Collin in 1100ccR this year????
          What a bummer... Hope Collin heals quickly and to a speedy return. Will keep him in our prayers.

-Paul

Comment

His hands are working just fine you just might have to look a little furthur to see them!!!

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
            Tomtall 06

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
              Newspaper article is from the 22nd, how is Collin today?
              Is he home yet? Did his hockey team win state or is the tournement still going on? Thanks
              Originally posted by alky6 View Post
              Does this mean that Joe and I will not be able to "communicate" (with hand signals) with Collin in 1100ccR this year????
              What a bummer... Hope Collin heals quickly and to a speedy return. Will keep him in our prayers.

-Paul
              Collin just got released from the hospital this afternoon… He has his own Hospital bed in our living room right in front of the Big Screen!! His hockey team won their first two games of the State Playoffs, and their next game is tonight.

Paul, as far as the hand signals go… I’m not sure as of yet what his Deck Riding status is…. But like Kristi said you may just have to look a little further to see them…. Because I’m sure they will still be there!!!

Comment

we all hope for quick and full recovery for Collin - we'll be thinking about him and the entire Thirlby crew.

by the way - for any of you warm weather folks - there is only 1 thing better than playing for a state hockey championship - and it happens at the end of July ...
                Last edited by gryskoG55; 03-02-2007, 01:21 PM.

Comment

If it had been uncle Mike, there would have been cops, and some kind of chase going on..... at least in the old days......
                  Ian Augustine

Comment

Brandon,

I am sure if you ask real nice, Collin might let you watch TV with him .

Ian,
                    How could you say such a thing about sweet quiet Mike???

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                    Tomtall 06

Comment

Update

Just got off the phone with Jackie Thirlby and Collin was sitting up and eating pizza with Aunt Tammy. He must wear a special brace when sitting or standing, but at least he can do it.

Jackie said he is doing very well and astounding some of his doctors.

This is all very good news. Keep those cards and prayers going.

Comment

Ed and Jackie Ya'll need to move down south ,were its safe ,only hydros and runabouts can hurt you down here, not northern toys like hockey and snowmobiles. Sounds like Collin is doing good , I hope everything is going ok, thoughts and prayers are going out for the entire family. Tommy

Comment

Working...
                        X