Larry Latta Passing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Latta Passing

It is with sad regret that this Sunday morning I have to report that Larry Latta passed away. His cancer took him fast from us. We know now that he is out of pain and in a better place.
    I will report on the address of the funeral and other arrangements. You can email me here or at YankeeRacing@aol.com if you would like to send a message to Francis. I will see that she get it.
    Connie Payn

Larry Latta

Got word this morning that Larry Latta passed away. God bless you Larry, you will be sorely missed. Joan and Jack Brewster of Ohio

Comment

We'll all miss him.. One of the people that I always looked for at the races.

Comment

Larry and I first met as young men in the late 60s,
        and again as old men, here in Florida. His presence here at races, his insight and good cheer, will be missed.
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Good bye my friend

Connie,
          Please pass MaryAnn's and my thoughts to Francis. I will miss him sorely. Who could I tease over the PA like Larry? Liz Thirlby and I had great fun with Larry and he took it well.

I met Larry many years ago when Chicago Outboard was going full bore and we had a heck of nucleus with Charlotte and Clyde Queen, The Wilson family, Bill Rykema, Bruce Summers, Ray Nydhal, Ray Hardy, John Wizemer, Bill Kurps, their wives and girl-friends, and a whole host of others.

I remember when Larry would show up with the ARK, and we would all head for the oteher end of the pit area. But, Larry was one who was always there to help others and you always went to help un-load the ARK with Hydro's and Runabouts to run everthing from A-F with C-Service II thrown in for fun.

I am grateful to Curt Helsten who showed friendship to Larry and helped Larry smile as Curt ran more and more of Larry's equipment. Even re-building, painting, and having fun with Larry. Thanks Curt for caring about a good friend in boatracing.

May God rest your Gentle soul Larry.

A sad now, but greatful to have known him in my life.

Ray

Comment

It is my privledge to have known Larry and Francis for forty years or so. I had a wonderful dinner in DePue with them Memorial Day weekend and was very saddened to hear shortly after that about Larry having cancer. I know he fought a courageous battle with Francis by his side.

The races won't be the same without seeing Larry but I know he will be with everyone in spirit. Larry truly loved boat racing and the racing family with all of his heart. I was able to help pit for him many times over the years and will always remember Larry nodding his helmet as we'd shove his boat off. Godspeed my friend.

God blass you Larry and Francis.

Brad Greenslaugh
            V-100 / V-101 crew member

Comment

Larry

We are all very sad to hear about Larry. Curt and I usually pitted next to Larry since Curt drove for him. We always laughed when Curt would do his impersonation of Larry. HE was a brilliant mind, and we alwwys said he was too smart to be a boat racer. We will really miss him at the races with us. Tim Small, Tom Small, Curt Hellsten

Comment

Condolences

We are sorry to hear of this loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Larry, Francis, and family.

Stahl Racing
                Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

Services:

Cedar Rapids Visitation Tuesday: 4-8 Murdoch Funeral Home Center in Marion, IA
                  Visitation Friday 6-8 at DeJong Funeral Home in Keokuk, IA
                  Funeral Saturday 10 am at Funeral Home in Keokuk
                  Online guest book for Larry at www.murdochfuneralhome.com under obituaries

Comment

Truly Saddened

Larry was truly one of the nicest guys. In growing up I only saw him maybe a handfull of times, but he always had time. I will miss him this summer. I was so looking forward to seeing him again. Dad told me many stories about Larry back in his pro days.

The sport of Boat Racing has lost a true legend and brilliant mind. Deepest sympathies to Larry's wife and family, and all of his friends.

The Mason's.
                    Dave Mason
                    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

after racing stocks and mods for 40+ years i decided to try pro racing with a 125h so i didnt get to know larry til 2000. he was a lot of help and a good friend. i wil miss having him over for dinner and those lunches for $2. at taco bell. i will miss those visits at his house as we were florida neighbors. thank you larry for being a good friend. ;keep adjusting those carbs and keep track of us from above. race on larry!
                      jwmaddrell

Comment

Connie:
                        Please pass my condolences along to Frances on Larry`s passing. It was great pleasure to know and compete with Larry. I will miss him.I enjoyed talking engine tech and new ideas with him.I know that Larry is in a better place and will be watching over us at the races.My prayers go out to Larry,Frances & family.

Kay Harrison

Comment

I knew Larry since i was 10 I always looked up at him as if he was a uncle. I will miss him Dearly my Deepest condolences to Frances. Pro racing is like a big family thats why you feel like you just lost a close family member

Jim Wright

Comment

Pete and I just found out today that Larry passed away this Sunday. Please give our thoughts and sympathies to Frances. We are unable to make it out there as flights are limited over this holiday season.

Larry will be missed by us. He was always at the races and participated no matter what. He added his technical ability and his knowledge to so many things and assisted on the technical committee of the Pro Category Commission.

We pitted next to him and helped him out as he did for us on many occassions. He took a lot of razing from all and took it well.

He will be missed. It's a shame to loose another member of this racing family.
                            Last edited by dlmurray; 11-21-2006, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Larry loved boat racing and boat racing loved Larry. He will be greatly missed. I know however he's sitting in the pits on Lake Paradise talking to Chris just like he did for so many Saturdays in Quincy when there was no race that weekend.
                              What are they talking about?
                              How to make those Loopers run fast enough to keep up with the Konigs of course!
                              Larry was Quincy Welding's most loyal customer, But Larry and Frances were more than customers. They were super friends!
                              Larry, I'll miss you, but I'll see you someday on Lake Paradise.
                              What a wonderful race that's going to be.
                              Frances, all of us love you and you are in our prayers.
                              BRF doesn't make participation so difficult

Comment

Working...
                              X