2006 ZAK Award winner announcment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 ZAK Award winner announcment

Mike Krier and I are very pleased to announce the 2006 Winner of the ZAK Award is Brian Payn. Brian won the award this year by compiling the most points in the 125CC Runabout class in the US Title Series 2006 race schedule. CONGRATULATIONS BRIAN.

As some of you might know, the award in Harry Pasturcsak's name has become one of the more prestigous awards won in yearly USTS competition. The award is presented to a class that Mike and I feel, by looking at the previous years participation of all the classes run in USTS, might need a little help insofar as participation of numbers of boats. The thought and driving force behind the award is the fact that Harry (AKA and more commonly known as ZAK) would never fail to help anyone, anywhere, anytime, to improve their performance on the race course. This held true whether the person being helped had Harry for a motor builder or not, or even if he didn't even know the person that well. He was the epitome of the "gracious giver".
    We thought the same type of "giving" might help to energize a new class just starting out in USTS, or give a boost to one that might have suffered for participants for one reason or another. It seems to be working, as the years the award has been presented, have always shown an increase in participation in the class chosen.

He was this way with his time, not only with individual drivers, but to the PRO Category as a whole for many years. He pulledthe rescue boat and associated equipment such as clock and bouys needed to put on a race. He did this for quite a while at his own expense so his friends and drivers could have a good time and play with their toys at race venues all over the US. Many still have his little "notes" sent along with your engines or parts when he returned them to you after blessing them with his "Polish" or as he called it his polish, pronouncedlike what you do to a shoe. He was one of a kind, and is still greatly missed by all. Many drivers including myself owe championships and other honors won in boat racing to his deft touch with a Konig or Yamato racing engine. He also was the chief inspector at the PRO Nationals for many years starting in the 70's and going until his death in the early 90's.

The award in the years that it has been given consists of a large traveling trophy that stays with the winner for that next calender year, along with a smaller trophy that is kept for good. The large trophy is a one of a kind built by Mike Krier and is beautiful with the same workmanship that goes into the boats he builds. In addition to the trophy's, the winner receives additional cash and merchandise donations given by individuals that knew Harry and were also helped by him. Over the years that the award has been presented, those awards have totaled in excess of $15,000.00 so if you can get a boat racer to part with that kind of money that doesn't go for something to hang in his trailer or attach to his boat, you know the person whose name and memory the award has been donated for was a pretty special person, as Harry was.

Congratulations again Brian. I know of very few awards presented in sports today that go with the feeling that this one does by the people who make it possible every year.

Mike and I will be reviewing the class participation this year in the various USTS classes and an announcement what class the ZAK award for 2007 will be for will be announced at the USTS Banquet in Chicago in November.
    Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 10-14-2006, 07:32 PM. Reason: error in date

Hey! I know that guy!

Congratulations Brian.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Much deserved Brian, congratulations. I'm sure Harry is smiling down on you. You personify the giving spirit that Harry had, I can personally attest to that with all of the help you have given Brad and most of all Brennen to help them to get started in this sport. That is what Harry would have done. Smile, you deserve the award!!

Billie

Comment

Congrats..............

Any time anyone is compared to Zak, it is a great honor. Way to go Brian.

Comment

If You Want To Participate

I forgot to mention in the announcement post that if anyone would like to participate as a contributor to the award, please contact me either by e-mail at randbenter@earthlink.net or give me a call at 636-942-2283 or you can also notify Mike Krier. There is no minimum donation amount in dollars or merchandise, so if you feel moved by the spirit of the award or by the reciepient's worthiness, please feel free to participate.

Comment

way to go little bro.
            Brian is the best driver ever. Could do dancing with the stars in a boat.. Puts boats inplaces we never seen.
            He is the best sportsman on the bank too. Just like Harry.
            Having the Payns at a race brings up the neighborhood a whole bunch.
            Big Bro
            Toe Knee 33f
            Staron

Comment

Well Deserved

Way to go Brian. You deserve this award. You've got agreat future ahead of you. Good Luck. Doug Schultz
              DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

Comment

Zak Award

Congratulations Brian! Great to hear!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by thePuller; 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the Zak award. I have to thank the USTS, and my crew, the whole FBI (Fast botz of Iowa- My "Grampa" and the master, Kenny Krier, my mentors, Mike and Rich Krier; my inspirations, Brad and Brennan Burllund, the talented John Krob, my pit men who are my ROCKS, the Chicago Boys, Scott Shroeder and Marc VandeVoorde; Bev Krier for keeping us in Line,
                  My wife Laura and daughter Brianna, and of course my mom and dad, Terry and Connie Payn.(I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them, in more ways than one). Also to my "brother" Dennis, killed in a race in 1999. I know he is looking down and smiling for me and he is up there with Zak very happy.
                  And to all the rest of our friends. I am excited can you tell?
                  Zak was a great man, and I named my dog Zak once. It was my hunting dog, a springer spaniel, and to those who hunt pheasants, you know I named him after Zak out of a lot of love.
                  This is an honor.
                  Brian Pro Payn
                  X21

Comment

Congratulation Brian. I have watched you as a kid and now as a fine young man and you have always been helpful and friendly. Even tho we don't race on the same circuit anymore I have been still following your racing. You have learned from the best on the runabouts from the Krier's it may not be long before the student goes around the teacher as it should be (something about time and old age comes into play here).
                    Congratulation Again
                    Larry McAfee
                    Y-44

Comment

Congrats

Congratulations Brian. You drive hard and are fun to watch on the course. The crew is excellent, not to mention fun. I guess rounds of the Diesel are in order to celebrate!
                      Speed costs money. So, how fast do you want to go?

Comment

'06 Zak Award

Bill,

These are the kind of Posts that keep all of us eager to log in everyday. My first memory of Brian was when he bought "Lucky", a Mod Staron runabout from Bobby Wilson. Bob told me that Brian was a great young man. At that time, no one knew what a great driver he would become. Must be something in the water up there in Iowa.
                        Thank's Bill, for your efforts in this Zak Award. Like everyone who knew Zak, I considered him to be "The Best", and always someone I could count on for help with an engine.
                        Was 250 Runabout the first ZAK Award class? Who have the winners been over the years?

Comment

Brian

Congratulations....I hope since this was announced on the net it does not meant you will not make it to the banquet to receive it in person!!! I am not sure how Bev will take it if it rides home with her

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                          Tomtall 06

Comment

congrats!

Congratulations Brian, just think, I knew you way back when we raced at the Orlando AOF race in the mid 90's together, before you raced Pro. You are a class act and deserve the best.

Comment

ZAK Award over the years

Hi Denny:

Yes, the ZAK award was first presented for 250 runabout in 1994 I believe, so this will be the 13th presentation year and approx. 15 since his death. Hard to realize it has been that long since Harry left for the "big motor shop in the sky." The first winner was Peter Crowley. After the banquet is over, I plan on posting a little history of the award, including the winners for each year and the class presented for and maybe try to post some pictures also, along with the names of the people who have participated by donating merchandise, services, or cash.

Mike Krier and I have decided that a previous years winner should do the presenting of the current years award and I understand Jeff Kugler has agreed to do the honors this year. Even this long after his passing, I get teared up if I try to talk about him, and so do others who knew him well and have tried to do the presentation. Based on the USTS 2006 point totals for the classes run, the 2007 award will again be as it was the first year, 250 Runabout, so maybe there will be an opportunity for a repeat winner. That has not occured to this time. so it will be a little more interesting next season for an attempted "two peat".

P.S. How was the golf game last week, better than the luck with the new boat this year, I hope. (Sorry, but that was too good to pass up)

Take Care

Bill
                              Last edited by bill van steenwyk; 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM. Reason: date

Comment

Working...
                              X