DePue 1 Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DePue 1 Recap

I was asked by David Weaver to do the recap for the first 2006 USTS race at beautiful Lake DePue.
    I will do my best, but David's shoes are hard to fill, and his colorful insight after each race can not be duplicated. Hurry back David and everyone else who could not make the race.
    The week end was really close to perfect. The weather was hot, but a nice breeze made the heat bearable to the spectators who were on their feet through each exciting heat of the week end. ---and every heat WAS exciting.
    The breeze on the water wasn't as strong on the beach, and besides, it seems to me that just a little weather keeps the drivers more aware of their surroundings and on their toes. Most accidents happen when the weather is calm and the drivers fall asleep. No big accidents to report-thank you drivers.
    We dedicated the Memorial race to 3 USTS racers who are in the service. Nick Noelthe was abe to take a break from his Air Force duties in Alaska to race. It is always a pleasure to see him.
    Jeremy Burton, also of the Air Force could not be with us, but his brother Josh did a great job to make him proud.
    Richard Ellison, stationed in Afghanistan was also in our thoughts as his family members, President Kristi and Kevin, showed us how service families have to go on no matter how hard it is.
    We will be collecting items for a care package to be sent to Richard and all of his buddies at the next race.
    The Marvin- Integrety Window Regatta was a huge success with lots of boats in each class, and, "on the edge of your seat" racing.
    We started with 250 runabout. As usual, brothers Mike and Rich Krier stole the show with Mike taking heat one by an inch. Bruce Nicholson looked good but jumped the gun in heat 3. final: Mike Krer, Rich Krier (I am not as good as David, and I'm older, so we will have to wait for the offical stats to come out for the official list and the rest of the line up).
    350 hydro was a wash with Rocket Jeff Kugler taking all three impressive heats.
    500 R saw Mike Thirlby running away with the wins with some closer finishes.
    125 runabout was also a blow out as Brian Payn led the pack all 3 heast. Brian is getting pretty worried about the speed of Paulie Boshnich as Paulie campaigned the old V99 for the first time out of mothballs. Tim Small would have finished up front, but he decided to give us a show and blew over at the start, right in front of the grandstand during the start of heat one. finishes: Brian Payn, Paulie Bosnich, 3. Chris Hellsten

500 H had 6 boats with a very impressive Doug Hall taking and keeping the lead each lap. Brandon Thirlby finished 3rd overall. Pat Wright went down one heat. Kevin Lobinski, a new driver is going to be a contender along with,of course, Mark Gryzkowitz and Nick Davis in his pretty blue boat. (my favorite boat).

The 1100 H capsule boats was dominated by the really nice kid, Brandon Thirlby. Anyone writing about races will have to type his name many times again this year. The boy has talent! Other finishers was Nick Davis, 2 and 3. Doug Hall. (again there were more, but we will need to wait for finals).

250 H class surprised us as Josh Burton took his win. What a fitting tribute to his brother. Look for more wins from Josh as he has grown from the time when we saw him win the J classes. Second was Kurt Hellsten and thrd was Ben thompson.

350 Runabout was one of the most exciting races of the week end with Jarred Gryskowitz and Mike Krier inches from each other for laps on end. This class was so exicting and the races so close, I really got confused at who won. My guess is Jarred G, Rich Krier, Mike Thirlby and then Mike Krier. ANYONE can end up the season on top in 350 runbaout.

125 Hydro had eliminations. All I can tell you is that Tim Small of course was fast. heat 1B was my favorite heat as Bruce Summers (70 something) and Marshall Eldridge(76), showed the kids how to race. Kristi Ellison gave the boys a lesson in driving as she took heat 1 B. Overall ended with Brandon Thirlby taking the gold.

The KPro kids did another job of entertainng us. Their race was just as exciting as the big kids' races. Overall went to a consistent Kevin Ellison with Amy Eldredige taking overall second. Amy gave us a scare in heat one when she decided to go for a swim and wore a knee brace the rest of the day. Sunday saw her back out racing. That girl has fortitude, that is for sure. She just impresses me so much as I would see her running up and down the beach, even in her brace, launching big 250 hydros. Her Horizon Award (Youth Award) trophy from AOF in 2005 was well deserved.

What a great day and a super USTS race. See you again in DePue, June 17-18-19.
    Also, watch for new secret race sites to be added, maybe even in region 8. ssshhhhh.
    and finally, hurry back David. I missed your smile!
    Connie Payn
    Last edited by AOFoffice; 05-29-2006, 06:32 PM.

USTS race 2 of 2006

I thaught the first USTS race of 2006 was at Inverness.... must of been a dream...

Comment

Shawn,
      There are 3 USTS races in DePue this year. This is recap for DePue 1.
      You weren't dreaming. Inverness was the first race for USTS of the season.
      Connie

Comment

Working...
      X