Inverness Race Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverness Race Report

We had a good first event for the USTS at Inverness, FL. What a great city that just loves racing. Estimated crowds were in the range of 3,000 - 4,000 each day and that does not inlcude the large flotilla of boats off of the first turn. There were certainly some rough edges for the race committee to work thru for future races, but in my opinion this was a very successful event.

A big thank you to Butch Kiddy and Robbie Galletta for all their tireless effort and generosity. Also, our crew of scorers, recue drivers and countless volunteers deserve a great deal of gratitude from a large turnout of boats.

Mother nature kept us on our toes all weekend with shifting winds and a few gusts. But we got all the heats of racing completed. Friday's testing and Saturday's racing only had one accident with no injuries. Sunday, things got a little tougher with several K PRO's rolling over in the first turn. BJ Tetro blew over his brand new 125 runabout, but fortunately was not hurt in the incident. There were a few exchanges of paint and wood in the bouncy turns.

I do not have the race results. But we can congratulate the capsule boat crowd for showing up with an impressive 11 1100cc Hydro's!! And did they ever put on a show!! It was good to see so many of the big boats at race other than the nationals. Let's hope that they can keep this partipcation going for the rest of the year.

Class by Class recollections:

K PRO - 10 boats, no idea who won due to multiple heat winners and the aforementioned accidents. These kids really do a good job on the water.

125 hydro - I believe that there were 11 boats on the water. David Jones took a swim in the first heat, but was able to race in heats 2 and 3. This remains a very competitive class with Rossi's and VRP's battling on level ground. A couple of new particpants from the Northeast show that this class continues to grow around the country.

250 runabout - I am not sure who won and I believe that there were multiple heat winners. Rich Krier, Chirs H. and Brandon Thirlby all ran at the front. Jason Sailer's new 250 R by Jerry Davids is a pretty boat. Tim Small took delivery of a new Krier 250 and Brian Payne will soon begin campaigning a new VRP 250.

500 Hydro - 7 boats I believe. Brandon Thirlby looked good in his new Pugh. Mark Gryz. looked good in his older Pugh. Sean McKean struggled a little in his first race of the season, but got the boat dialed-in heat by heat.

500 Runabout - Was that R.C. Hawie back in a 500 runabout?? Yes it was and he still knows how to get around the race course, but Mike Thrilby took the win. I believe that we had 7 500R's.

350 Hydro -8 entries. David Mitchell's carb problems in the first two heas gave everyone else a chance !! The podium finishers were Stahl, Hellsten and Schmidt. Great to have Tommy Adtkins racing with us again. Stahl's new MJR hydro is a real beauty. Gary Bursik's new Schumacher is also a real pretty boat powered by a new VRP 350.

125 Runabout - 7 boats entered with Brian Payne had a dominating performance class. BJ Tetro's accident was impressive and the 125 R's are clearly able to go over 49mph!!

350 Runabout - 6 entries in this normally large class. Rich Krier was the class of the field until he broke in the final heat with a lap to go. Mike Thirlby benefitted from Rich's misfortune.

250 hydro - 14 250's attended the race with 2 scratches bringing the field down to 12. Run'm was the call. Man was it crazy out there!! But everyone got around the course and made it back in one-piece more or less. I think Chris Hellsten beat Mike Schmidt on points. Chris' new Tec Craft is another real eye pleaser.

1100 hydro's - No real way to describe this other than you should have been there!! I believe that Sean McKean won the day, but I am not sure. So many of these boats looked super fast, but it was very hard to work thru the field. Nic Davis' new Konny ran well right out of the box. If this kind of attnedance keeps up, look for a huge shoot-out in DePue!!

I am sure that the results will be posted in a couple of days when Shirley gets home.
    David Weaver

David

I am sure you did not forget that Diane Murray beat the boys in OSY 400 and was the only one who had 2 legal starts. Way to go Diane!!
    The event was a great success and we hope to go back next year. Thanks to all the participants who got there stuff out almost 2 months early and put on a heck of a show.
    Thank you to all the volunteers involved with the course set up and break down and on the judges stand and crowd control.

See you on May
    Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
    Tomtall 06

Comment

Osy 400

I did forget, but Kristi is correct. Diane schooled the boys by keeping on the right side of the start line each heat. I believe that there were a total of 4 legal starts in the 2 heats of OSY 400.
      David Weaver

Comment

Hey does anyone have the official results of the race?? I know the last time I saw them they were very wrong (or at least the KPRO's were). And how about some pictures? Our Professional Photographer (my mom ) was kidnapped and held hostage at the judgastand and forced to work, so we didn't get any pictures taken.

And yes, the KPRO field was very fierce, I would like to say that personally. Unfortunatly, we had Joel Brown, Joey Pinner, and James (Booga) McDermont go over in the first heat on Sunday, killing Joel's boat, putting a few holes in Joey's boat AND motor, and putting some more holes in Booga's boat. I would like to express my concern, once again, that if the one minute gun has already gone off and you are not on plane, STOP YOUR BOAT!!! Especially if the class is already racing; there is no way you are gunna do anything anyways, so just cut it off. I have seen too many accidents where someone was off plane and wouldn't just pull the plug. Getting on plane causes ROLLERS, and ROLLERS cause FLIPS. So please, be smart, and think about the other drivers. Sorry, just a note...that KPRO flip this past weekend looked really bad. Luckily, no one was hurt, except the three boats. This one could have caused some very bad injuries.

I think we should thank everyone that was involved in getting this race on the schedule. Kristi Ellison is always working hard and getting the job done. We should all thank her. I don't really know who all did what at the race, but thanks to everyone who helped put it on, and to everyone who was there to support the US Title Series and Boat Racing. You guys(and girls) are what keeps this sport alive.
        On a personal level, I would like to thank Joel Brown, Joey Pinner, James(Booga) McDermont, Wendy Nicholson, Wendy Eldredge, Joel Kiddy, Wally Schliph, Travis Ellison, and Kevin Ellison for showing up and supporting KPRO. Everyone did a great job driving. Ten boats for KPRO is something you see only at the nationals, but I guess we proved THAT theory wrong!! Thanks, and I hope you guys come and race KPRO again.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

Amy

Comment

Originally posted by Amy Eldredge
          that KPRO flip this past weekend looked really bad. Luckily, no one was hurt, except the three boats. This one could have caused some very bad injuries.
          I'm glad to hear everyone came out with out a scratch. I saw the whole pile up from the turn boat, and was concerned. The first turn was very rough during each class run during the flight I worked the turn boat. The wind kind of circled in that area and the jet skis and boats way off in the distance pushed a lot of waves in toward the course. The combo of the chaning wind speeds and directions, combined with the jet skis and boats off in the distance, made that a very challenging turn. Regarding getting on plane, maybe some of the more experienced KPro parents could give boat set up help/pointers to other parents to help their kids get up on plane quicker.

Comment

All

Shirley and Bruce should get home today to Illinois. Once Shirley has the results we will get them posted. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
            Tomtall 06

Comment

Working...
            X