Speed Week coming up with Constantine and Depue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Week coming up with Constantine and Depue

Well with the successful Thunder at Lake Springfield behind us, we both look back, and forward this week. July is one of the harrowing months of the season for the USTS and it its drivers and crews. Lots of activity, travel, racing, partying, engine and boat repair with 3 races in a 5 week time frame of absolute head down and paying attention to detail. With the rain bearing down on us at Springfield, we made a decision, lead by Todd Brinkman, President of the Title Series, to go to a run it all on Saturday to get everyone on the water, and that is exactly what happened. My thanks to our Title Series Crew for the hard and coordinated work to allow for the success of the race.

​Now we turn our attention to Constantine, Mi with the Constantine American Legion and Thirlby Automotive as a long time sponsors and the USTS Nationals at Depue with our great Sponsor, The Depue Men's Club, as many other players will join up with us for the two week speed run. Don't forget to get online and pre-register for both races as it is easy, convenient, and will get you on the water quicker when it is time to test. I know that Sue and Denise appreciate those of you who are consistent users of the online registration.

As I thought about Springfield and what I saw there in the Top Hydro category, I got pretty excited as we had 7 of the capsules there and we know of at least 5 other drivers who are committed to Depue, so that should be one heck of a Sunday at the Nationals. In the 500R we had 11 hit the starting line and there are additional entries to come for Constantine and Depue, is a 5 heat format due here???? JJ Walls will be at the wheel of one of those 500R as B&B driver has a new toy, a GRM 2 cylinder 500 to play with, so he and Tim Small will be on the run with the 4 cylinder boys out there.

Remember for Depue, to check with Big Pal, Paul Bosnich on parking trailers before you do to ensure an orderly process for the pit area. We understand that Depue has had a good amount of rain and the lake is up and the dam has already been dropped into place to hold the water level now, with additional pumping for more water in the lake. We surely are appreciative of the hard work of The Men's Club, the City with Mayor Bryant, and a myriad of volunteer's to ensure that we can race each year.

We look forward to great racing in each venue and look forward to seeing you there.

Last edited by RLR; 07-06-2016, 06:32 AM.

Someday , maybe someday , a solution will be agreed upon and the Village of DePue won't have to fight any more to save this great resource. Until then , they will do what needs to be done to assure the racing goes on at Lake DePue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Hc...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Is it possible for some APBA 750cc mod hydro guys to come and test with you pro guys in Constantine? willing to pay! Thanks!!
      Last edited by john527; 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• benf27
        benf27 commented
        Editing a comment
        You will have to join the USTS and register for a class to be able to test as it is sanctioned testing.

• Rex Hall
        Rex Hall commented
        Editing a comment
        A 750cc mod would have to be in a capsule to test as per USTS rules.

Thanks, also another ? can we run megaphones?

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Per USTS Racing Rules megaphones are not allowed.
        The Rule - USTS Rules and Regulations, page #2, rule #10 All engines must have expansion chambers or mufflers.
        Last edited by ProHydroRacer; 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM.

• David Weaver
        David Weaver commented
        Editing a comment
        So a 6 cylinder looper could not run in 1100cc Runabout at DePue?

Hi David,
      How many Six cylinder Loopers are expected to come to the US Title Series DePue PRO Nationals?
      What are the drivers names?
      Once I have that information, I'll gladly take it to the USTS Board of Directors for their ruling.

By the way, the no megaphone rule has been one of our rules since the formation of USTS, some 34 years.

Please contact me on this post, I check it daily. I'll be waiting to hear from you David, there isn't much time left till Speed Week - Constantine MI, and then to the biggest PRO Race of the Year, the DePue PRO NATIONALS!

Bill Kurps - Referee for the US Title Series

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        David, David, David, you think I didn't know you were pulling my chain?
        In the far past, as you probably know we ran THIS RACE under different rules. All our races this year are run under USTS 2016 Rules, those that are planning to run in any of our races need to get a copy and read them. They can be gotten from the US Title Series web site.
        David I still got that Kill Switch if you still need it.
        Bill

• Bear513
        Bear513 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dad when did you become such a stickler for rules?

Kind of unfair don't you think?
        Its not like Larry or Danny using nitro in there fuel?

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Nitro is legal fuel.
        USTS BOD Makes the Rules.
        Referee MUST Enforce the Rules - It is a USTS RULE!

In the past few years there were several mod guys testing on Friday with both 850's and Megaphone exhaust 750's. Did something change or did they just allow it? Also the megaphones were allowed to run as 1100 runabout when we ran them at Constantine and of course Depue.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Bob see my comment below.
        Bill

• john527
        john527 commented
        Editing a comment
        MHRA just had a race a Constantine a couple of weeks ago, we ran 750cc mods....people love it!

Palmquist ran a open pipe 750 in 1100ccr at Depue in 2013
      Last edited by DiGia54D; 07-12-2016, 12:43 PM.
      sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Wayne, I've been the referee since the spring of 2014, subbing for our buddy Nic Thomson. I assume the BOD gave special permission to Palmquist.
        My original offer still stands.
        Bill

• DiGia54D
        DiGia54D commented
        Editing a comment
        I just remember not being able to hear for a while. That baby was loud

Bill, it was not just Brian, Wheeler tested at Constantine a few years back, and another with a 850 three cylinder with an open pipe. Why deny someone testing if they pay. Both Constantine and Depue welcome the nose makers. Just a thought.

Comment

Bob, et al, I don't think that Bill is against having the mod guys come and test. He has offered to take it to the board to see if there can be an exception made to allow open pipes. As referee, Bill needs to enforce the rules of the USTS, and the rules will allow exceptions with the boards approval. If the MOD guys want to test, I suggest they take Bill up on his offer to take it to the board. It's not his decision to make.
        Respectfully,

Dan

Comment

If you guys want to take it to the board, I'm sure you will have some mod guys there with money in hand!

Comment

Dan, I full understand. A few years ago we had a 750 in the trailer. We tested with it on Friday and then Sat morning. We were registered in 500 Runabout so we did pay to test. The 500 was a Konig on a Krier Runabout. Guess what I am saying there are competition and class rules, understood. Testing is another thing. The BOD will make the decision on testing. On another note, I am delivering a Krier Runabout to Constantine. A mod guy is picking it up on Friday and asked if he could test since he has the rig already on his trailer. I mentioned in the past I have seen some testing but you would not be allowed to race. I really have no input as we have no equipment to race any more. Just a spectator.

Comment

Working...
            X