What it is to Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What it is to Race

My granddaughter who just started college sent me an e-mail yesterday, my wife read my answer and said I should post it. So here it is.....

Kourtney asked…..
    “I want to talk about what racers feel before a race. Obliviously, I can only imagine what it is like. Do you mind explaining what you would feel before a race? What were your thoughts and emotions?”

Most people can’t imagine what it like to race or why anyone actually race. To a Racer, it isn’t a hobby or job, it’s a way of life! There is no death wish involved, just the opposite - It’s to feel alive, to live life to the fullest.

The night before an event your stomach starts acting up, you wonder if the race boat and engine are prepared as best as they can? Some drivers need liquid courage the night before, I never did. You get very little sleep the night before an event.

When you wake up the day of the race, your stomach is acting up more than the night before. From the driver’s meeting to the time of actually getting the race boat into the water your stomach is ratcheting to higher and higher levels. In your mind you think the worst, that you may have a serious accident or even killed.

Just before your scheduled race, you finally get into your race boat, the butterflies in the stomach are the worst that you ever had. You hope the engine starts and you get a good flying start to the Clock. You must be at full speed, over 110 mph at the line, just as the Clock hits zero.

The three minute gun fires, your pit crew pulls on the rope to fire the alcohol burning, two-cycle 700 cc race engine. It didn’t start!

The crew raps the rope around the flywheel for another pull, it doesn’t start again.

Your heart is pounding and the butterflies are a full pitch. Same thing happen for three more pulls of the rope. 15 seconds remains to start the engine and get on the race course, “**** it” start!

For the last time, the pit crew puts all their effort to crank over the engine, with a roar it lights up, all 700cc, 200 horsepower, alcohol burning beast, roar thru the open exhaust.

The Hydro boat is launched.

The butterflies stop once the boat is launches and moving under power. At this time, all other things in your life are forgotten, family, friends, work, it time to get down to business it’s - RACE TIME!

Your boat leaves the pits it’s extremely hot in the cockpit, once the boat reaches speed it begin to cool off you can finally get a cool breath.

The Starting Clock is all ready counting down to Zero, you enter the first turn at under race speed. You are hoping that the engine won’t foul out. Your Hydro enters the backstretch, the engine begins to rev up 10,000, 11,000, 12,000 and finally 13,000 rpm - full engine revs.

The boat begins to reach racing speed of 110 mph down the backstretch. In front of you, the other eleven Hydros are jockeying for position.

We enter turn two at full speed. I’m on the outside, my favorite position. Coming out of turn two and 500 feet down the course is the Starting Clock.

The Clock is counting down 5, 4, 3, 2, your heart is pounding with every tick. I got to make a good start! 1, zero, I’m at the line, full speed on the outside and legal, All Right!

All 12 boats have their eyes focus for the first pin at Turn 1. We all hit the start of the Turn together, some boat on the inside foul out to spaying water into the carburetors, some boats crash together and stop running. I’m lucky this time, got thru the turn at full race speed and down the back straight without an incident.

There is a Hydro in front of me, got to try to catch it!

My boat is running great, the boat is aired out nicely, both sponsons of my Hydro are off the water, and only about 6” near the transom is in the water some of the time.

Going thru turn 2, I catch the lead boat, 4 laps later if I’m lucky I have won the race.

Racing is a all time high, it’s a adrenaline rush that I have not found doing anything else. I race not because it’s easy for me, but because it’s hard and most people can’t or won’t do it.

Bill - Racing, Life can't get any better than that
    Last edited by ProHydroRacer; 10-21-2015, 01:17 PM.

Shucks... I got butterflies just reading your post!!! And I'm normally just the flag man!!!
    But you did say it just right.. Thanks for the memories..

Comment

Kourtney"s follow up question “How did Gramps started racing?”………..

My dad served in WWII with a guy from Wisconsin. We were going to a week long family vacation to upper Wisconsin. On the way to the vacation we had a car accident. My dad drove thru a turn on the highway a little too fast, went off the road and flipped the car over. A few of my brothers, sisters, and Mom ended up in the hospital for a few hours. The car was a wreck, roof pushed in and windshield gone. My dad got the car running and we drove back to Chicago. A few days later we drove to my dad’s friend from the war. It turned out he drove Hydros, he had 3 or 4 of them. My dad went for a run with his friend Joe Mallpa (sp) but didn’t like it. I thought it was real kool!

Before I started High School for three or four summers there were magazines published about outboard racing. I loved reading about the races and drivers.

While going to High School I built my first boat in my family’s basement. The boat came from plans from Popular Mechanix magazine. It said the boat could be built in a weekend, it took me a month.

The boat was powered by a 15 hp outboard. All thru High School and after I married Grandma we used the boat on the Chain-of-Lakes, it was a lot of fun.
      About 2 or 3 years after we were married, we went to McCormick Place in Chicago for a Boat Show. Outboard Club of Chicago was there in a booth requesting new drivers. I had thought I could run my boat from my High School days. It turn out I couldn’t, so I built my first Hydro from plans of Hellkelly, and bought a used 350cc Konig.

The first year of racing I went to 8 races and blew-up the Konig at every race. At the time I didn’t know anything about outboard engines. After I rebuilt that Konig 8 times I could rebuild it blindfolded. The next year I went to 8 races and finished every race.

That’s how I started.

Comment

very well put brought all the feelings of the race season thats is over now and waiting fixing building for the next one

Comment

Talk about edge of your seat reading!!!! You really explained it like it is. Thanks.......

Comment

Great description of the pre-race emotions and feelings Bill! I would add at DePue, I would have to make 3-4 trips to the men's room an hour before my races. It is interesting that once I get settled behind the steering wheel and the engine starts, the mind and body simply shift into race mode. At DePue now, I find it more nerve racking to watch two days or racing until my class races the last day. I was more comfortable racing a class a day even though I only really cared about 250ccH onSunday.
            David Weaver

Comment

• dwhitford
              dwhitford commented
              Editing a comment
              David, I got a great tip years ago from Chick LaRose, and it ended my Porto-John forays before my racing heat: 'Just let 'er go in the boat, Dave,' Chick said. 'You're gonna get wet out there anyway!'

Guest commented
              Editing a comment
              Well dwhitford, I won't be buying any boats from you any time soon!

I was asked long ago (when we all still were "kneelers") by a sharp-eyed girlfriend, "Why did you reach your arm outside the boat after the race, before you came in?; some others were doing that too." "It's for dry-mouth, " I said. "We're trying to catch some spray off the sponson so we can wet our lips and mouth." I suppose this is because many of us have been breathing through our mouths the whole time . . . .

(EDIT) One of the more irritating experiences is to be starting your run at the clock and have a contact lens decide to relocate itself to someplace in the back of your eyeball . . .
            Last edited by Smitty; 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Always afraid the engine would not start and then afraid when it did start.

Comment

Before the 5 min gun heart beat (HB) = normal (N)
                Boat in the water waiting for the 5 min gun, HB = N + 50%
                5 min gun, start engine hope it starts, HB = N x 2
                Plane over HB = I don't know to busy figuring position for start
                Racing HB what's that, how do I pass that boat?
                Race over HB = N, did I get DQ'd?
                At scales, hope some water remains in the boat.
                "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• Flyer
                  Flyer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with about everything said but would like to add a couple.1st If it wasn't automatic to breath from the 500 ft buoy through the first turn you wouldn't remember it. 2 nd Boat racing was worst than drugs for me. If your friends or family found you on drugs they could send you to rehab there was no place to send a me.
                  FLYER
                  Leigh.

I think my only feelings were fear and desire.

Good to here from you Leigh. It's been too long. Lots of great memories racing against you.

John

Comment

You know....it's funny. I got started racing as a snot nosed kid in 1984,,,,and from the first time I went out I have had a burning desire to win. And over those 30 years it has intensified to the point where some of my non racer friends do not get why I am edgy before I leave for a race weekend. All I can say is that I have been lucky to be around such a fine group of people. Dave

Comment

I always tell people, as I am in the boat waiting for the 3 was 5 minute gun to go off, if you asked me to spit for a million dollars, I would go home broke!

Comment

I very seldom put the same post on two sites, but this memory goes well with this thread. When I got my first alky motor in late 1966, an old 2-pipe A Konig, somebody told me, "The two best moments you'll have doing this stuff come right before disaster strikes. First is when the boat starts to get nice and light and loose, and the ride gets real smooth and quiet, . . . just before you blow over. The second is when the engine starts running very clean and even and really winding out, really singing, . . . just before it sticks."

I don't think there could have been anybody dumber than I was as a nineteen year old novice in the spring of 1965, but I might feel a little better if at least one of you has done this: fired up your engine, started getting on-plane as you headed out on to the course for the first heat, . . . and had the boat turn more and more to the LEFT as you madly and confusedly steered more and more RIGHT, of course because you had rigged the steering cable upside-down on the drum (me, Long Lake, Hal Kelly "Wetback," BSH first elimination heat). Gawd, was I ever dumb!!

(I hope it gets better someday)
                      Last edited by Smitty; 11-04-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X