USTS AWARDS BANQUET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USTS AWARDS BANQUET

Lead by our President, Todd Brinkman, the US Title Series celebrated the 2014 point Championships with a dinner gala, and held its annual business meeting on Saturday November 1st at the Doubletree O’Hare location. The business meeting took up most of the day as discussions were held on safety, equipment needs, 2015 race dates with 7 sites on the horizon for next year. A couple of races in Florida in April came in for discussions as well as many of our traditional sites such as Pleasant Prairie, Constantine, as well as our traditional and top host of the year in the Depue Men’s Club and the USTS Nationals held at Lake Depue. Last year we averaged 5.5 more entries for each race held in 2014 than in 2013, with information that we will grow with other new Pro drivers coming into the club and category for 2015. This is exciting news as we see the USTS continuing to grow and expand out with our race schedule. That evening a wonderful Italian Buffett was served in one of the ballrooms and the award ceremony followed. A moment of silence was noted for our fellow drivers and friends Tim Warren of the Springfield, Illinois area who passed away early in 2014, and our dear friend and former Title Series referee Nic Thompson whom we lost at Lake Alfred during the World Championships. A number of awards were presented throughout the evening in addition to the High Point championships. We would like to recognize that Amy Nydahl also took home two titles in high point, but also was the winner in Top Hydro with Robby Galletta, of Revo2solutions.com providing a very rich 6,000 dollars for the win there and then capped off the 2014 season with the World Title in 1100 at Lake Alfred in October. Todd Anderson of Northlake, Illinois capped a great year, driving the Race for Kids hydro, brought over by Ralph Donald from Europe, won not only the 175H Nationals and then took the Worlds at Lake Alfred as well. Up and comer award for a new driver in the open classes was presented to Jackson Hall, accepted in his behalf by his GrandFather Rex Hall, making Jackson a chip of the old block with Rex and Dad Doug, having paved the way. Each year drivers who win their first Pro race with the Title Series receive The Checkered Flag Award. Ray Hammond of Bartow, Fl won his first race ever and first race of the year down in Winter Haven, Fl. JJ Walls, who has won I believe 10 or 11 Nationals in the Antique classes, not only added The Checkered Flag Award, he also took home the top point championship driving the Prop Rider entry V-99. The driver of the Green Monster #5 wore the carpet out coming for awards during the evening. Not only did Tim Small win two High Point Championships, but he took home Elite Driver of the Year. This was based on number of wins, point totals, number of races, and not only did he take home the Elite Title, he won the 500R World Championship at Lake Alfred. As that award was being given we were also preparing to put the Zak Award in his trophy case as well. Zak, a well know engine builder and designer was so helpful to many drivers, whether they raced his products or not and was beloved throughout the pit area. So Tim adding this to his trophy treasures was well placed. The emotional highlight of the evening was the award from the USTS as the Woman of the Year award was given to Bev Krier. Bev has decided to retire from the judges stand and the beauty of this and what brought the emotion was that not only had Bev decided to retire but the USTS retired the trophy with her award. May I also recognize our volunteers who were there for us all year and whom we could not have had the success we enjoyed without them. Each was given a beautiful key fob to recognize their efforts. My thanks to each of them who made this a very enjoyable year. May I also recognize Sue Sailer and Denise Thompson and their merry band of judges stand personnel who most often are busy working away while we are playing. Thanks to each of them and their efforts led by Sue and Denise. My wonderful wife MaryAnn was able to join us at the banquet and many thanks to her for allowing me to follow my passion with the Title Series. As she told Pete Voss that night, you have had him for the last 7 months, now I get him for the winter. HMMM, wonder what that meant, maybe better get used to saying YES DEAR. The following drivers were awarded the traditional plaque, action shots of them on the water and beautiful Title Series Hi Point jackets for their titles in 2014, congratulations to all of our drivers with Tim Small and Ike Yoder doubling up for 2014 titles. The second and third place drivers also received plaques and beautiful action shots of them on the water with their awards. Our thanks to Jeannie Tennell and Tiffany Gonigam for their efforts in our behalf with the pictures. 125h Pete Kelly 125R JJ Walls 175H Todd Anderson 250H Amy Nydahl 250R Tim Small 350H Ike Yoder 350R Tim Small 500H Ike Yoder 500R Andrew Thirlby 700R Mike Thirlby 1100H Amy Nydahl We will see you at the races in 2015, Ray

Working...
X