Lake Depue update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Depue update

The latest news on the hopeful clean up of Lake Depue. This is an article from a local newspaper. Click on the link.

http://www.bcrnews.com/articles/2009...mcxq/index.xml

Very interesting article. The first time I raced at Depue (1961) The zinc factory was in full operation.

Comment

The EPA

EPA solution may be to move the town, fill in the lake, and build a razor fence around the area. All fixed.

Comment

......or get it so clean that the migratory birds are safe, fish thrive, deer sip clean water at shores edge and Depue becomes a retirement community.........at which point the area can no longer tolerate noisy smeely boats.

All in good humor. It would be nice to see tax dollars go to something good.
        " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
        Art Pugh

Comment

Not likely

Originally posted by epugh66 View Post
          ......or get it so clean that the migratory birds are safe, fish thrive, deer sip clean water at shores edge and Depue becomes a retirement community.........at which point the area can no longer tolerate noisy smeely boats.

All in good humor. It would be nice to see tax dollars go to something good.

That would be a 1st!

Comment

Years ago when the zinc factory was in operation, I drove some PRO stuff for JW (Bill) Collins from Macomb IL. Occasionally he would fly up to Milwaukee and pick me up. Once we got up a few thousand feet in Milwaukee and headed to Macomb, he let me fly because there was not need for instruments at least until we passed Depue. I could see the plume of smoke from the zinc factory all the way here in western Milwaukee and it was perfectly on a direct line to Macomb. I often wondered how a factory could be that dirty.

Comment

I had an enteresting conversation with a Depue native during the stock divisionals this year. It seems that the problems with the lake were compound when the pheasants forever people succeded in getting the lake closed off from the Il. river. (disclaimer! I believe they WERE tring to help) The theory was that it would stop crud from flowing from the river to the lake when the river is up.
              After the lake was closed off the lake silted in. Due to the silt no longer flowing on out to the river. That caused the springs to be plugged and fresh CLEAN water no longer feeds the lake.
              To often we humans try to impove things without a complete understanding of the big picture. we then make things worse with our feeble attempts.
              Kind of like when the USDA fed aphids to asian beetles (in a controlled setting) they found that they would eat them. so they imported billions of them. reality has shown that while they will eat them. it seems like they only will do so as a last resort. they seem to prefer what ever ladybugs liked and now we hardly have ladybugs. but we have billions of the asian beetles that stink and bite. HMMM

"The Coffee Guy"
              TEAM CAFFEINE
              Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
              " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

This one thing that I hate, the comment about filling in the lake and moving the town. The town is fighting a long battle, this is a ray of hope in a dark situation. A restored lake will benefit a lot of people, not just Depue but racers , wildllife among other people and things! Please remember this, Depue LOVES boat racing , we have and always will supporr the racing community.

Comment

Me too!!!!
                  I felt the same kind of trepidation as I read that thread, probably an attempt at humor. I believe that a GREEN lake DePue would be the best of all worlds for the town and for the USTS drivers.

Comment

I wish the best for lake Depue and the town.
                    Mark
                    G-11
                    125H
                    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Working...
                    X