Propane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane?

Has anyone given thought to propane power in OBs?
    There was a Mr. Clean IB drag boat once. Any ideas?
    RichardKCMo
    RichardK.C. Mo.

Propane illegal in PRO . . .

and maybe stocks & mods as well. PRO rule fuel must be a liquid at atmospheric pressure. Intention of that rule is to remove nitrious oxide AKA ha-ha gas AKA giggle gas from the mix.
    carpetbagger

Comment

It is used in Pro

Just not in the fuel !! We use it to grill lunch on !! Oh yeah, it is used inside the boat to assist in sliding the expansion chambers as well.

Methanol is a very clean burning fuel, it is much cleaner than the govt. emissions require today and into the future. Why sitch when it is clean and no R&D is needed ?
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Dave

Just smear some "sturno" in your intake manifold prior to your race this weekend. Works great. Learned it from a Nascar team.
        Tom L.

Comment

Sterno

Sterno was invented a long time ago. It took those Nascar folks this long to figure that one out ? And they call themselves the cutting edge of technology..... good grief !!
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Lpg

Richard; -how much oil would we mix with the propane, and how would we get it in the tank ?
            Maybe squirt it in prior to filling.
            Actually the motor would be down on power a bit, but if one increased the CR to take advantage of the higher 'octane rating' then we would get some of that back. Taxis [318's] I converted in the '80s worked well if u advanced the timing some. I suppose the newer oil injection o/b's would work if one could find a small propane mixing valve to replace the carb with.
            Brian Hendrick, #66 F
            "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

propane

[QUOTE=bh/;80742]Richard; -how much oil would we mix with the propane, and how would we get it in the tank ?
              Maybe squirt it in prior to filling.
              Actually the motor would be down on power a bit, but if one increased the CR to take advantage of the higher 'octane rating' then we would get some of that back. Taxis [318's] I converted in the '80s worked well if u advanced the timing some. I suppose the newer oil injection o/b's would work if one could find a small propane mixing valve to replace the carb with.[/QUOTE
              bh, the reason i thought propane is because it can be made from nat. gas or coal and from what i read we ain't got no shortage of iether one.
              At his time in our area propane is $1.50 a gal. and all you need is an exemption sticker on your vehicle.

My brother currently has 2 trucks running on it , a pu and a f 600 ford , the loss in milage is almost imeasureable and performance is same as both are low comp. truck engines.

Outboard on the other hand would have to have the oil injected , since later motors are injected now a ratio would have to be established.
              Richard.
              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

alkie-hol

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                Just not in the fuel !! We use it to grill lunch on !! Oh yeah, it is used inside the boat to assist in sliding the expansion chambers as well.

Methanol is a very clean burning fuel, it is much cleaner than the govt. emissions require today and into the future. Why sitch when it is clean and no R&D is needed ?
                Dave ,the only problem with methanol for other than racing purposes it take about twice as much both in use and manufacture, so it for now anyhow couldn't be a replacement onl an alternate.
                Propane on the other hand mite be a viable replacement fuel.
                Richard
                RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Yes But

It is the cure for outboard racing two strokes. No real difficult mods neceassary to run it. Not saying it make sit fuel effecient, just clean. Right now I pay over $5.75/gal because I have to use that stupid Torco fuel just to ensure I pass the meter in APBA mod. Methanol can be found for anywhere between $1.90/gal to 5.00/gal. I burn a lot more Methanol in Pro, but it is still cheaper in the long run because it costs so much less. If oyu want to break it down, in my 350cch Rossi, I burn about a gal per lap. Slightly less because there was about a 1/4" left in the bottom of the 4 gallon tank I used in DePue.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M View Post
                    It is the cure for outboard racing two strokes. No real difficult mods neceassary to run it. Not saying it make sit fuel effecient, just clean. Right now I pay over $5.75/gal because I have to use that stupid Torco fuel just to ensure I pass the meter in APBA mod. Methanol can be found for anywhere between $1.90/gal to 5.00/gal. I burn a lot more Methanol in Pro, but it is still cheaper in the long run because it costs so much less. If oyu want to break it down, in my 350cch Rossi, I burn about a gal per lap. Slightly less because there was about a 1/4" left in the bottom of the 4 gallon tank I used in DePue.
                    I agree with Dave, Methanol is the way to go. When I was about 12 years old I had a Methanol burning 12-1/2" Champion Hot Rod that I played with on our lake; so I have been burning the stuff for well over 50 years. Methanol can be made from about anything. I'm running a limited schedule so I don't need much, I'm using VP that I'm paying $6.01/gallon. I use propane for the BBQ grill.

Comment

Alkie Hol

Dave, not knocking alcohol fuel being from the midwest i'm sure ethanol production keeps my taxes lower than they would be.
                      I agree on racing 2 strokes and it would eliminate all that fuel meter stuff in other div. but i was thinking for general boating application as gasoline is around $5.00 a gal. at boat docks some places. Anyhow see you at Centralia
                      Richard
                      RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                      X