Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydro design

Good morning,
    I couldn't find anything in previous posts so I will ask here.

Is there much difference in design/dimensions of a laydown hydro opposed to a kneel down hydro?
    If not, how much of a pain is it to convert one to laydown?

Thanks,
    RussW

sigpic
    SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

I've designed and built one laydown CSH to date. First, driving a laydown is quite different than driving a kneeldown boat. I had to really anticipate what was going to happen with boat lift, etc... because I could not really move forward and aft in the boat. The only way to respond to wind conditions and water conditions is by backing out of the throttle. Also, cornering the laydown is quite different. With the heavy and tall Yamato, the boat wanted to broach quite a bit through the corners because I was not leaning out over the side. With this being said, I did enjoy the laydown and have not ruled out building another some time in the future, but I do not feel as if my design was correct. Sponson design, lift design, boat width, etc... would need to be changed to achieve a good running and cornering laydown. Good luck with your project and I suggest you take a ride in a laydown before making the change because you may not like the feel of the ride.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
    JH/JR

Comment

Some Differences

For most boats, converting a kneeler to a laydown would not work to optimum performance.

On a true laydown boat the bottom break is mover further back than on a kneel down boat. Other than that, not much difference.

The move of the bottom break in a laydown boat is to compensate for the unshifting weight that is plunked down when you lay in the boat. You simply can't get into the back of the boat like you can in a kneeler, so the change is needed to make up for that.
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Originally posted by aojesus View Post
        Good morning,
        I couldn't find anything in previous posts so I will ask here.

Is there much difference in design/dimensions of a laydown hydro opposed to a kneel down hydro?
        If not, how much of a pain is it to convert one to laydown?

Thanks,
        RussW
        Well, (deep subject) if a particular hydro doesn't turn very well without the use of deep turning fin(s) as well as having to lean way out on the left hand side to get around the turn without flipping or stuffing it , that design would not be a good candidate for a laydown since you pretty much just lay there. Personally, I do not like the idea of not being able to shift your weight. Then again (speaking of myself), there is a lot of truth to not being able to teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Working...
        X