Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here running a Bass lower unit with a pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here running a Bass lower unit with a pump?

Wondering how well the water pump works on the Bass lower units.... i.e. Does it pump at idle like a fishing motor lower unit or does the motor have to be revved up before it starts pumping?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

david ,,,have seen them on lots of different engines with pump they pump incredibly alot of water at idle ,,,seen on a 6 cylinder of howard shaw's and looked like fire hose comeing out,,,,gears a bit week for the v-rude though ,,,,,overall decent case ..spendy at $1450 a copy

Comment

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
      david ,,,have seen them on lots of different engines with pump they pump incredibly alot of water at idle ,,,seen on a 6 cylinder of howard shaw's and looked like fire hose comeing out,,,,gears a bit week for the v-rude though ,,,,,overall decent case ..spendy at $1450 a copy

Thanks! Can't say that I've seen very many Bass lower units around here at all. The only ones I remember seeing were force feed.

What lower unit do you recommend for the 3 holers? I'm not sure anything short of the Merc SST120 lower units will hold up for long under a Super E. I am sure that none of them are cheap.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I run a pump for test tank time for both my D-Mod's and 3 holers. Like Cheney said, plenty of water at an idle. I run force feed racing. Been running the Bass tower & foot under my 3 cylinders for three years now, same set of gears, no problems. Good oil, and change often. Did modify the water inlet a little tho.
        Steve
        106-R / TEAM JDS

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hydroman6 View Post
          Did modify the water inlet a little tho.

Everyone that I know that has tried the Bass lower unit has had to modify the water inlet to get it to water.

Glad to hear that they pump well. I'm going to race with a pump. I have a Yamato PRO unit under my 44 and like everything about it except for not having a water pump.

Comment

I run the bass unit on my 44D-mod and my OMC FE and the the Tohatsu D-stock ,as long as you don't cut the impellers they will pump just fine.
            Russ Bircher 45-R/151-R

Comment

just to let people know iam working with someone on putting some v-6 gears into his case to hold up under the torque of a v-rude and 90+ miles perhour...dont know when we will be done but deff will hold up ..

Comment

Bass Lower unit

I would recomend a Bass unit to anyone. As long as you use a good gear oil and change it on a race to race basis, you will not be disapointed. No problems with the cooling dept. either .

Comment

Bass units

David we have 2 Bass units that we run on both our 3 holers and our 44 stock Dmod. As for the gears holding up we have had no problems. We run a water pump in the 3 holer and have had no cooling problem. We actually burnt up an engine as did Burt trying to force feed it. That Bass tower I sold you was bought so we could make a cavitation plate with the pump housing in it. Nothing wrong with the Bass tower other than the set back on the swivel pin was differant than what we have now and didn't want to mess around with changing the set ups. On the 44 stock engine we did burn a piston due to an overheat problem but I don't think it was because of the pump but more the way we ran our water and created a air pocket. Doug Schultz.
                  DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

Comment

Larger Bass Lower Unit?

Originally posted by form-e one View Post
                    just to let people know iam working with someone on putting some v-6 gears into his case to hold up under the torque of a v-rude and 90+ miles perhour...dont know when we will be done but deff will hold up ..
                    We have pondered from time to time if there is a sufficient market for a "herkier" racing lower unit. What RPM and HP? Is there a class need? And, thanks for the good words on Sid's current product.
                    Neil Bass

Comment

Originally posted by nbass View Post
                      We have pondered from time to time if there is a sufficient market for a "herkier" racing lower unit. What RPM and HP? Is there a class need? And, thanks for the good words on Sid's current product.
                      Neil Bass
                      Neil/Sid,

Your lower unit works GREAT for the mods. Don't change a thing, just keep them available. Its a great lower unit. Cheney just needs something a little bigger, you know, about the size of Merc Alpha or Bravo. Cheney, just remember this. It's not the size of your unit, but in how you drive it that will make it last or not.
                      Sattler Racing R-15
                      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                      TEAM VRP
                      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Ive been running a Bass modern lower unit with a pump and think its great. Even though you might want to sqweeze every bit of performance out of your motor.. I think the pump is well worth the small amount of resistance.
                        Team Tower

Comment

Great Box

David,

I reccomend not using the pump racing, it cools the engine a little to much to retain good racing temps. You will find more speed without the pump. The pump also creats a little more drag on low end.

As far as inlet we never had a lot trouble, we drilled a angle hole in the bottom of it like the Yamato has. No big deal.

First, if they still have a huge heavy outlet fitting on the back ot it, get rid of that and put a less heavy one on it. To much weight and it breaks.

Gears, never blew a set under my three holer, wore a set out in a year of running though, and caught it just in time. Real good unit to get. A bit on the high side for cost, but it will last you a long time. Especially if you can get it set up under anything smaller than a Super E.
                          Dave Mason
                          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                          X