form-e....ignitions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• form-e....ignitions

i know lots of people running different ignitions out there i have run merc and my version of konig am looking for something else ,,wonderd what peoples opinion of other systems out there are????

Ignitions

We are running A MSD on our Yamaha. Same system they use on 3 cyl Sea Doos. Gets rid of that heavy flywheel. Which should be big advantage on the JonRude. Electromotive has some new systems out, that I would try if we were builing a new engine.
    Art K

Comment

FE igntion...

...If you like to be different,like I do, I can sell you a complete MSD system. There is a "brain" and a little battery in a watertight plastic box about the size of a shoe box that will mount between your legs ,assuming you are laying down.Nice,accurately machined ,flywheel which weighs about nothing. Coils and wires are big and full of lightning ! Spark is automatically retarded for easy hand starts. The unit can be programmed for all sorts of neat things. There-in is the problem for me. I am of the generation that is technically challenged when it comes to dealing with any little electrical gadget that needs to be "programed" . I got it to the working fine stage ,but could not get it to outperform the stock omc system.AS a big plus ,it gets rid of a lot of pounds off the motor.Tach and kill switch wire right into the brain which is handy. 8-N

Comment

haaa hunter wil you be at ocoee?????...cheyney

Comment

Hunter,
          I've been interested in various electronic ignitions as magneto replacement on various vintage race motors. Can you be more specific about the MSD model "box" you are using and especially about the flywheel / pickup (trigger) assembly. I agree that Electromotive's Xdi box is an excellent choice, but somewhat more expensive yet very programmable. Please email me at hinsdale@bellsouth.net if you want to provide more detail outside of the forum.
          Regards,
          Roger Hinsdale in TN

Comment

msd ignitions

I have used a plain, simple, 6 series, MSD module, with none of the extras for 4 years with great success. I made my own distributor using the mercury tower, belt and pulley. I built one with points and one with a magnet pickup. I like the points better as I can time motor with a dial indicator rather than a timing light. It works easier at a race rather than trying to see in the bright sun light a flashing strobe while spinning the motor with a battery drill, etc. You can also use the mercury newer style ignition that has the magnet pickup in it. This will work and will easily adapt to the older motor. My only problem with using the newer mercury pickup and distributor is the replacement costs of the perishable parts such as cap and rotor, etc. I used a Ford ranger cap, rotor and heavy duty points from a ford racing ignition set up. I made my own bottom plate for the distributor and my own shaft which sets up exactly like Merc's. Problem is that I am not yet considering building any complete units for any one else yet. It would be cost prohibitive to sell to any one as it takes approximately 30 hours of total shop time to complete a unit, the distributor parts are approximately 50 to 60 dollars with the MSD module costing a little less than 200. If I told some one that I would build them a very competative ignition for about a thousand dollars do you think I could sell a bunch of them. There is a man who does build a really nice looking, very competative ignition using the MSD module from either Louisiana or Alabama for about the same money. He makes a 4 pickup plate and a flywheel with a magnet in it using 4 coils. He builds them a lot for the OPC boys. PM me for his name and address as I don't think I should advertise his business without his permission.
            David Everhart S52
            Last edited by deverhart1; 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM. Reason: Wrong salutation
            David Everhart S52
            Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Working...
            X