Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs

Building a new D Mod engine. We are trying to decide what carb to run. Have a set of KC5s that have a 1 1/4 bore. Have been told by several people that this is to large that the optimum size is 1 1/16 in. I have another engine that came from Burt Hoefs it has a set of KC15s. Took them off this evenig and they have 1 1/4 in. bores. And this engine runs great and they look identical too the KC5s. I have gone so far as to machine a set of sleeves that would fit in the bore and reduce the bore tio 1 1/16 in. Don`t know if this would work or not but was going to try it. But now that I have seen the other carbs I wonder if I am wasting my time. Any body got any info?
    Art K

The 1 1/16" they refer to is the minimum dimension in the venturi, not the outer air horn. KC15's are 1 1/16"... look on the bottom of the float bowl. I'd recommend you use those...

Hope this helps.

Comment

More info...

I agree with Jerry. You want the 1 1/16 venturi. It's no silver bullet, as you know, there is never ANY silver bullet. Especially in MOD, It's a combination of modifications working together. I've beaten guys who were running 1 1/16 carbs while I was running 1" carbs.
      I think the 1 1/4 carbs lose too much velocity in the venturi to get a good fuel atomization.

Comment

Don't Forget Art ,,, Largest Carb For A 40 Ci Merc Is A 1" Venturi----
        Speed cost Money --How fast ya wanna go ?

Comment

smaller is always better!fuel in vs. exhaust out.

Comment

sounds better all 'time

Originally posted by trapper View Post
            smaller is always better!fuel in vs. exhaust out.
            Hey, 'burninin' you might be right.!!! read with int.
            RichardF.
            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Tahotsu?Huu?

Originally posted by BURNINVERNON View Post
              Don't Forget Art ,,, Largest Carb For A 40 Ci Merc Is A 1" Venturi----
              Maybe the edge should be given to american iron, i just don't know , opinions are?
              RichardFF.
              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
              X