Amsoil Good, bad????? Who uses it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsoil Good, bad????? Who uses it?

Just trying to post about something other than rule changes.

Who uses Amsoil?

Which type of 2-cycle do you use? HP Injector, Dominator etc. Do you like it?

Does anyone use there Gearlube? How is it?

I have a dealer by me that is willing to supply me with oil for my racing. I just don't know if I want to change from what I am currently using.

Mark
    Last edited by Lights; 10-29-2006, 05:01 AM.
    Mark
    G-11
    125H
    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Amsoil

We have used their product for 17 years. Both in my sst60 engine when I raced and my sons omc "A" motor. We use the "Saber" 2 cycle oil. Tryed the Dominator oil and it ran to dirty for for our application. The Saber oil runs very clean in the engine and has lots of protection at even a 50-1 ratio mix. I wouldn't run any other oil in our engines. Just our preferance. Have not run their gearoil. Always run Merc. high performance gear lube with no problems.
    Tom L.

Comment

Amsoil

Mark,
      I've been running the Interceptor synthetic, and keeping an eye on the rings and piston skirts. No troubles seen so far.
      Larry

Comment

Great Discussion Topic

I would like to hear more about lubs in general. Anyone using additives in their lower unit oil? We have heard good things about Slick 50 as gear lube for the FE/SE units. We always run 20:1 engine lube. Any other experience and performance differences?
        Thanks,
        Neil Bass

Comment

ams oil

we use the hp injector on the omc evinrude and we have seen no problems yet. Also it keeps it lubricated and we use it in our snowmobiles.werners

Comment

amsoil

Have never used the product myself, but they have been around for at least 20 years, and always do a lot of advertising. Most companies can't stay in business that long without a halfway decent product at least. I have seen their representatives at trade shows with displays set up demonstrating various uses for the oils they have and they also I believe they sponsored somebody in the Champboat series several years ago. A great deal of the advertising they do is pointedstoward racing of various types, bikes, cars, etc., which is certainly the true test of most any product. If you have someone willing to furnish product or sponsor you, good luck. Those kinds of deals are hard to come by, especially in boat racing.

Comment

Champboat sponsored by Amsoil would be Terry Rinker. This man had an awsome year.
              Mark
              G-11
              125H

[

Comment

Originally posted by nbass
                I would like to hear more about lubs in general. Anyone using additives in their lower unit oil? We have heard good things about Slick 50 as gear lube for the FE/SE units. We always run 20:1 engine lube. Any other experience and performance differences?
                Thanks,
                Neil Bass
                Neil
                I use the Amsoil gear lub in my BASS foot and since using it I have not had to put new gears (Univversal Synthetic Marine Gear Lub 75w/80w-90 ) in the FE unit. We run the Dominator in the Tohatsu and all the 44's and OMC. have used it since 1974 with NO problems. Russ Bircher 45-R/151-R

Comment

but.........

Originally posted by Lights
                  Champboat sponsored by Amsoil would be Terry Rinker. This man had an awsome year.
                  just because he is sponsored by Amsoil does not mean he uses it........

I use it though in all my motors......
                  Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

lower unit lube . . .

ATF. Yep,Mopar style ATF-3 (Now ATF-4)
                    carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                      just because he is sponsored by Amsoil does not mean he uses it........

I use it though in all my motors......
                      Daren
                      We are sponsored by Amsoil and we use it for all the boats, and in are Trucks and cars.
                      Daren it was at Moses lake race I tryed to get you run it. that's when I was trying to tell J michael not to use so much in the mix.
                      Russ Bircher 45-R/151-R

Comment

Say Russ

Take the HP injector oil for example. It is a 50:1 premix or injection oil. Does it help with ring seal to mix it any richer like 20:1? or is that to rich for this type of oil????? I know some guys that mix there fuel and oil @ 8:1 and think it's the ticked. But they are using petroleum oil.

Mark
                        Last edited by Lights; 10-29-2006, 10:33 AM.
                        Mark
                        G-11
                        125H

[

Comment

My experience with synthetics is to mix the oil as recommended by the manufactorer. If you put more oil with the gas than recommended, you will overlubricate the engine causing it to gum up. Meaning it will form a glaze on the cylinder walls resulting in a loss of horsepower. The rings will no longer seal properly. This can be even worse if you run a low tension ring, such as a cast iron ring. I've been using klotz TCW-3 synthetic oil for quite some time now and that has been my experience.

Add: The synthetic oil has saved a couple engines of mine when I've gotten water in the bottom cylinder.
                          Joe Silvestri
                          CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                          JH/JR

Comment

Amsoil Dominator oil...........

Originally posted by Russ Birch 45R
                            Daren
                            We are sponsored by Amsoil and we use it for all the boats, and in are Trucks and cars.
                            Daren it was at Moses lake race I tryed to get you run it. that's when I was trying to tell J michael not to use so much in the mix.
                            Russ Bircher 45-R/151-R
                            I believe Amsoil recommends this oil be mixed at 50:1. Many racers tend to mix more oil in their gas than this..........your thoughts?
                            DickTyndall 74-E

Comment

Read the jug

I use a lot of different synthetic oils. My personal favorite is Royal Purple. I have read the labels on everything I ever tryed and all them say that deviating from the recomended mixture will result in premature ring failure. I did try the Amsoil "Dominator" and loved it. Has anyone here ever tryed something called "zero weight" in the gearfoot?
                              Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Working...
                              X