How do I clean an aluminum gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I clean an aluminum gas tank

Would like advice on what I should do to clean the inside of a a Fickett Steering Bar tank that has not been used in many years. This tank was drained after last use, but no other storage action was taken. Suggestions?

Originally posted by greybeard
    Would like advice on what I should do to clean the inside of a a Fickett Steering Bar tank that has not been used in many years. This tank was drained after last use, but no other storage action was taken. Suggestions?
    Castrol Super clean,fill it,let it sit for a day or two then drain it out(save it,it will be good for other cleaning projects) and rinse it out with hot water.
    Will

Comment

I'd use the solevent mentioned and put a cup of clean gravel in the tank and shake it around a whole lot . The gravel will scrape off the stuff that wants to cling. The last time I did it, I used the small pebbles that are used to top coat streets. The city had just done my street and there was a lot of the stuff that had not been mashed into the tar.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks. I'll try the Castrol and pea gravel.

Comment

Aquarium Gravel

I use clean aquarium gravel (large smooth pebbles) and Castor Super Clean/water mixture (50/50) to clean my tank also. Use HOT water to rinse the Super Clean out after a day or two of soaking the inside of the tank and then use the gravel on the first "rinse cycle". Make sure you use gravel that is not painted or stained as the Super Clean will eat it off/out of the small pebbles. Methanol will cause the aluminum to form a surface residue, so if you run alky fuel clean it after every season.

Al Peffley
          15-R/R-25

Comment

I have used . . .

Metal Prep and/or aluminum cleaner which was part #1 of a 2 step prep to clean Al for painting. I believe the juice was phosphoric acid. Coke(tm) and Pepsi(tm) work inna pinch
            carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
            X