Clear All

• keller deadman throddle

hello
    need help in setting up deadman throddle correctly
    from boat/to/motor.
    thank you
    ralph-the rookie :

Keller thottle set-up

Ralph - I'll try to make it easy. The following photo should be your thottle.

Step #1 - Find out whether you need to pull or push on your thottle linkage at the engine to open the throttle butterfly. Find the necassary location on the throttle to make this happen. The attachment anchor is removable and can be placed in the nec. hole at the throttle.

step #2 - Route the cable thru the top or bottom anchor slot so your cable makes a straight shot to your anchor point.

step #3 - Have approximently 1/4" of inner core wire exit the anchor and tighten the anchor set screw. Have approx. 1/2" of outer casing past the locking pad at the casing anchor pad. Run remaining cable out of back of throttle to the engine.

Step #4 - Turn your engine from side to side to determine how much cable will be nec. to work without binding or being pulled on.

Step #5 - Hold cable up to engine throttle mounting fixture and measure how much cable lenghth is nec. to reach the carb. hookup point. allow some extra lenghth to allow inner core wire to protrud past core wire anchor point by a few inches. (It can be trimmed later if nec.) Now measure how much outter cable needs to be removed back to the outer cable anchore point at the engine. Allow approx. 1/2" of outer cable to stick out past your anchor fixture. Take a pair of side cutters (dykes) and very carefully snip only the outer casing at this point.

Step #6 - Put Keller throttle at the wide open position and lock the throttle by depresing the button on the top of the throttle. Go back to the engine and thread the cable thru the engine throttle fixture and secure the outer cable at its anchor point. Move the throttle butterfly to wide open while treading the inner core wire thru its anchor and tighten the set screw.

Step # 7 - Go up front and release the throttle from wide open and allow it to return to the closed throttle posistion. Loosen the Idle stop screw at throttle and reach your finger up to swing the stop arm till it contacts the throttle arm. Tighten idle arm lock screw.

Step #8 - Have someone work the throttle while observing throttle movement at engine. Verify your getting wide open throttle and also that the butterfly is closing completly when released. Some minor adjusting may be nec. to get this to happen. If the engine does not have a full butterfly plate (i.e. no idle air holes) remove the plate and eather solder or epoxy the holes shut. This will make sure the engine kills when the butterfly is closed.

Step #9 - Move the engine from side to side while working the throttle the verify there is no binding or sticking of the throttle.

Good luck and if anyone wants to add or correct this post have at it, I'm tired and going to bed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tomtall; 09-26-2006, 07:33 PM.
    Tom L.

Comment

Additional Setup Considerations

Great setup description Tom.

The other thing I have found about using this throttle is that the carb throttle linkage on both of my 102 Yamatos has a shorter control range than my Keller throttle lever span. When I remount my motor on the boat I lock my lever forward a few clicks before attaching my solid throttle line to the carb's throttle bracket clamp in order to have a full open carb throat with the lever fully against the pistol grip -- that way it is easier to keep full throttle and hold on without tiring your throttle hand. The carb butterfly (OMC, Yamato 102-301, Merc with carbs, etc.), shutter (Mikuni pro motor carb), or rotor valve opening (Konig) should still be FULLY closed when the throttle is completely released. Take out or adjust out any set screw on the carb that interferes with the throttle going totally closed when the throttle is released by your hand. In a kneeler hydro, position the Keller on the cockpit so you can lean out and touch your left elbow on the deck to corner. If you later decide to go to a laydown style of hydro or pro runabout, there are a number of smaller throttle designs out there (Lee Tietze at Machined Components in Oregon sells a nice one) to choose from when there isn't enough space inside the laydown cockpit for a Keller.

Hope this added info also helped...
      Al P
      15-R/R-25

Comment

Working...
      X