302 pumping issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 pumping issues

Can everyone please stop posting issues on the 302 pumping in the the S.O. Agenda thread.

Thanks
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

CSR Rule Change

I suggest:

1. That C Runabout transom height be changed to 1 1/2" below the bottom....
    2. That C runabout have the fin on the bottom (Planing surface)...
    3. That any Yamato 80, 102 or 302 gearcase can be used with a nose cone added (This will allow the boat to handle well at 1 1/2 bwlow the bottom.
    4. Call it C-2 but combine it with C Runabout, if you like.
    5. raise the weight 25 pounds.
    6. Require the paning surfact to be no wided than 22 inches.

Serious Suggestion:

Allow you to do what you want to get water in your 2,000 dollar 302 or 102 or 80, if you run C runabout or 25 Runabout....

Comment

Suggestion to Dan

Hey Dan,

Here's an idea: Rather than running the risk of getting productive threads hijacked by a single issue, a new forum gets set up called "SO (or MO, or PRO for that matter) Agenda Items"....then if a person wants to start a discussion about Promotion, 302 Height, D Tohatsu, Sidewinder engine, whatever, they can create a specific thread for each item, and we can type away to our heart's content?

Not trying to tell you what to do...I'm glad you have this great forum...just offering an idea on how it might be used.

Thanks,

R-19
      www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Hey Patrick,

Good idea I plan on making a few changes later tonight.
        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

Originally posted by Admin
          Hey Patrick,

Good idea I plan on making a few changes later tonight.
          Dan, you could start with the categories Ed laid out in the other post.
          Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
          sigpic
          Portland, Oregon
          Johnson Racing

Comment

In order to keep this 302 thread going, it seems that most of the solutions to poor cooling involved making a modification either to or to go with the motor. I thought this was stock. Why add more things that a new guy has to do to the motor to at least stay within the same 1/2 lap? I think Joe Silvestri has it right - take the legal height down to where it will pump - levels the playing field.

I've got a 302 that won't pump well at 5/8". We should be running that rig at 1/2" - but I don't want to deal with a warped head 5-6 times a year. I've got a 102 that is steaming after a 3 mile heat with certain props at 5/8". We'll just keep working at it. But right now, we hate 5 mile records courses.
            Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
            sigpic
            Portland, Oregon
            Johnson Racing

Comment

Ron have you ever tested a C runabout at 1 1/2 below the bottom. I have and this would make this rig slower than a Hot Rod B. The height we run at currently is fine for a runabout It pumps fine and handles good. Mike
              mike ross

Comment

302 pumping..........

I didn't know that there were "issues" with the 302 pumping water at minimum heights. I know that Captain America and I never went much above 5/8" with the 102 on my CSH and even then, it would run hotter than I liked it to. If the minimum motor height for the 20SSH and CSH classes were 3/4" I'm sure it would save a lot of people headaches when they were testing and at the races, too! It's not real easy to turn around in the boat at 68 MPH and check to see if the motor is pumping water..............
                DickTyndall 74-E

Comment

302s pump fine if you pay attention to all the little details. Back when the height was level with the bottom, I took particular delight in watching Roger Carr inspect my 302 at Bakersfield Nationals in 96. He did a great double take called bob gollar, the head inspector to recheck it. gollar scowled but had to admit that it was legal. I showed up with a brand new boat and ran it there 2 elimination heats and one final heat. I got a 4th in the first final heat but the second heat was going to be the next day. Dan Parker made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the boat but he was going home that night. Well I sold it and didn't run the second heat.

Running at 1/2 inch with either a 302 or a 102 should be easy if you have a decent setup, ie boat, motor, prop angle, where you sit in the boat and how you drive. It isn't simple and can't just be thrown together and expected to work.

A bigger problem than some people not being able to put the puzzle pieces together is the continuing fact that the 302 is not capable of winning the Nationals in CSH. The Stock administration has continually hampered this motor and since it has become clear that it can't win the Nationals, has refused to allow any minor modifications to it to make it equal or better than a good 102. They can brag how the 302 is available but keep it secret that it ain't a winning motor in CSH. The 102 guys imposed the 1/2 inch height because we could run higher with the 302 and were getting dangerously close to beating them, to ensure their continued dominance. Yes I still have a number of 302s but only let my kid race 102s. Viva the old motor! Get one yourself or lose.

Comment

Reverse psychology?!!

Originally posted by hydroplay
                    302s pump fine if you pay attention to all the little details. Back when the height was level with the bottom, I took particular delight in watching Roger Carr inspect my 302 at Bakersfield Nationals in 96. He did a great double take called bob gollar, the head inspector to recheck it. gollar scowled but had to admit that it was legal. I showed up with a brand new boat and ran it there 2 elimination heats and one final heat. I got a 4th in the first final heat but the second heat was going to be the next day. Dan Parker made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the boat but he was going home that night. Well I sold it and didn't run the second heat.

Running at 1/2 inch with either a 302 or a 102 should be easy if you have a decent setup, ie boat, motor, prop angle, where you sit in the boat and how you drive. It isn't simple and can't just be thrown together and expected to work.

A bigger problem than some people not being able to put the puzzle pieces together is the continuing fact that the 302 is not capable of winning the Nationals in CSH. The Stock administration has continually hampered this motor and since it has become clear that it can't win the Nationals, has refused to allow any minor modifications to it to make it equal or better than a good 102. They can brag how the 302 is available but keep it secret that it ain't a winning motor in CSH. The 102 guys imposed the 1/2 inch height because we could run higher with the 302 and were getting dangerously close to beating them, to ensure their continued dominance. Yes I still have a number of 302s but only let my kid race 102s. Viva the old motor! Get one yourself or lose.
                    Keep making changes, pretty soon there aren't any rules not long after that no players, half way there already.
                    RichardKCMo
                    RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                    X