OMC 3-cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMC 3-cylinder

I'm getting back into racing after about a 15 year layoff. I pretty much ran PRO in the past, but I did run a little MOd, Stock and OPC. I have picked up a 3-cyl Johnson and I'm going to run a Konig 15:16 lower unit on a hydro that I'm going to build myself. Who makes a good Super E propeller? What size is it. Exhaust? I'm clueless. 3 into 1 or 3 pipes? Megaphone or expansion chambers? Who makes this stuff? Are there certain model carburetors, heads, reeds, ignition, etc. that are best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tim Chance, Saint Louis, MO

Buy Mike Lopez setup

My first phone call would be.....
    Not sure that unit will last too long on a fe
    44 merc mod is sure a strong class in the midwest. Hydro and Rowboat Maybe consider racing DMod instead. welcome back I remember you from the Midwest powerboat days. course I was all of about 12 then. BTW I mow the lawn at the condo of Tony Lavell
    77-G

Comment

Buying Lopez's stuff would certainly be the short cut; might even be cheaper in the long run.

The closed exhausts like OMC used on the Mod50 triples is definitly fastest. Ed Runne makes a new one that is even better, added almost 10 mph to FE when he started making them.

DeWald makes good FE props; they are in the 7 1/2 X 13 range, but Craig doesn't really say what the pitch is ... you just tell him the weight, the boat and the rpm

Steve might be right about the Konig foot under a triple, Bass specs a thinned down shaft between the powerhead and foot that makes his units survive under triples. The same thing may work for a Konig

To handle competitively you need to be on a tower in the 10 inch range, 15 inch transoms and fat motors are too bossy
      Last edited by sam; 08-24-2006, 04:36 PM.

Comment

3 heats on that foot, run the BASS.
        Engler Custom Paintball Guns

click here for our website

Comment

Here's a link to the Lopez stuff... http://www.hydroracer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8271
          93-C

Comment

Maybe you're going to bring back HYDROPLANE QUARTERLY ? There's something that 98% of the people on this forum never heard of.

It is always useful to see what the fast guys are using. The APBA Nationals have been won by Brian Palmquist driving Vickie Smith's rig. He uses an amazingly stock powerhead with an Runne exhaust, Bass gearcase and Dewald 4 blade props. The exhaust system is really simple- aren't most good ideas that way?- being just an open chamber with a very small megaphone on the bottom; no filler block or neat passages. It is light and unobtrusive. he also uses electric start. The Bass gearcases have been reliable and handle well with minor reworking on the outside. They started with a used Giles hull and made numerous improvements on it to win the 2005 Nationals. They got a new B&H and took it to win the Winternationals in Louisiana against many of the NBRA guys. Mike Wienandt and Jim Ruck did some port work and boring on it just before the 2006 Nationals and it is even better. This is the finesse side of the class- smaller, lighter, reliable, not necessarily the fastest but corners extremely well.

Lopez has had great stuff and was amazingly fast at a couple Nationals and also had to withdraw from one becase of an illegal powerhead. He takes a different approach and uses a huge boat and makes huge power. Of course there is no free lunch so it all comes at some price- weight and complexity. He has wone at least once but rigs he has sold have never seemed to do well and the one I have seen most, has been notoriously unreliable. While his rigs may have top speed, it isn't clear to me that this approach is suited for smaller, local venues.

FEH is a neat class with different ideas and combinations. I'm sure you will find it interesting.

Comment

Mikes Boats

The Big Very Fast Boat Is Not For Sale I Will Be Runing It Next Year.we Have 3 Brand New Hydros For Sale That Are Just As Fast And Are Very Reliable And Simple To Maintain. We Also Run Konig/konny Unit For Years With No Problims, Just Need To Change The Oil After 2 Heats And It Will Last 2 Years Easy. Give A Call For Pic Of Boats Thanks Garland 209-662-1330 See You Guys Next Year

Comment

Thank You All

A thank you to all for the input. I'm going to Shelbyville to watch and am getting ready to be on the water next year. To Steve Johnson: I have a lot of archive information (old Modified newsletters, promo material, photos, etc.) from Midwest Power Boat Association from tlhe '50's & '60's. If you would like to have it I can collect it up and ship it to you also say hi to Tony for me. About Hydroplane Quarterly for no faualt of my own and a little of my own fault I suspended publication for a little while (over 30 years) I'm thinking of bringing it back on-line. - Tim

Comment

Which photo above is the Runne exhaust?
                  Mark N

Comment

Originally posted by MN1
                    Which photo above is the Runne exhaust?
                    Mark N
                    This is the Runne exhaust.

I had to rotate the picture 90 degrees to get it posted here. The megaphone points down.
                    Attached Files

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Shelbyville

David - Are you going to Shelbyville? - Tim Chance

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance
                        David - Are you going to Shelbyville? - Tim Chance
                        I don't think you can get to Shelbyville, IL from here! (~700 miles)

No, I have to work that weekend (work 2, off 2). I'll be at Alex a couple of weeks after the Shelbyville race though.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Hydroplane Quarterly

Tim- Have missed your Hydroplane Quarterly. Still have a couple issues
                          that were not lost during moves. Is it possible to post the origional issues?

Good luck on your endevor to renter the active racing world.

Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang

Comment

Hydroplane Quarterly

The will be going on the Boat Sport/Speed and Spray Site. Thanks to Merc55H.

Comment

Shelbyville

Originally posted by T Chance
                              A thank you to all for the input. I'm going to Shelbyville to watch and am getting ready to be on the water next year. To Steve Johnson: I have a lot of archive information (old Modified newsletters, promo material, photos, etc.) from Midwest Power Boat Association from tlhe '50's & '60's. If you would like to have it I can collect it up and ship it to you also say hi to Tony for me. About Hydroplane Quarterly for no faualt of my own and a little of my own fault I suspended publication for a little while (over 30 years) I'm thinking of bringing it back on-line. - Tim

Tim,

Dad told me you sold him his first Mod engine, that is what got him out of Pro and into the Mod division. He remembers you well.

We will be in Shelbyville. Dad is still racing, although he is only racing in NBRA, and not APBA. Given where you are currently living, you will find more NBRA races closer than APBA. We have a blast at the NBRA races.

See you in Shelbyville. Lyle Mason and Dave Mason, Jill Mason

Dave
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X