Electric start on a D/E mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric start on a D/E mod?

Anyone know where I can have a crankplate built so that I can run an electric starter on my 44? I don't want to run the heavy stock flywheel. Thinking about something that can be bolted onto the top of one of the small racing flywheels where the crank plate normally is bolted on. Something similar to a flexplate in a car with an automatic transmission.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Why do you need a cranking plate if you are using electric start?

You are just thinking about the wrong type of electric start, something based on a standard toothed flywheel-small pinion starter arrangement. Why not go to a more direct unit, ala go-carts and Indy Cars where they have a starter unit that simply uses a socket to engage the flywheel nut? The crew guy plugs it in and starts the motor, then pulls it off as you leave so there is no additional weight in the boat at all?

And don't tell me a little go-cart starter won't crank a 44 Merc.

Comment

I want to put an electric starter on my 44 so that I don't have to have a pit crew.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

interesting subject

I hope this thread takes off. David your home early what happened at the nats.?
        Richard
        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Richard,

I didn't stay for the Nationals. I went up Thursday and came back Saturday. Never got wet - other than sweat. It was HOT. Don't know what the temp was Thursday, but it was hot. Prediction was for 105 Friday. Got to 106 and set a record high. Prediction was for 103 Saturday. I wasn't there to see what it got to. EDIT: Weather.com says it got to 104 yesterday and set another record high.

Very low boat count. I doubt that there are/were eliminations in any class. Most classes won't come close to having a full field. Several classes are going to have trouble getting the required 5 boats.
          Last edited by David_L6; 08-20-2006, 07:22 AM.

Comment

send a note to Dave Scott. I know his D-Mod is setup with electric start...

Comment

Electric Start ??

Jim Grinstead in CA has made up two different versions with AL flex plates [see pics] Another solution that I have not seen done but should work, is to source a motorcycle rear sprocket blank of the right gear pitch and bolt/weld it on the small hub. A [good, IMHO] compromise is what I am doing now on my DCH 44", but as I have three more races to run this year, am not going to talk about it. Scott is using some sort of 'flex-plate' set up on his 44XS based Dmod, and does not seem to slow him down any. I am a BIG proponent of electric start, mainly for safety considerations.
              I will send u some Ginstead's info
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bh/; 08-20-2006, 12:52 PM. Reason: sp?
              Brian Hendrick, #66 F
              "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by Abbott Racing
                send a note to Dave Scott. I know his D-Mod is setup with electric start...
                Care to tell us how you rigged up the electric start on your motor Dave?

Comment

electric Start

I am using a 44XS flywheel which is an SST120 with a 50 hub installed or the like flywheel. The ring gears are a bolt on - then balanced. The issue is this. Those ring gears are not available any longer. The 50HP fishing motor uses a 10 tooth bendix on the starter and the V-6 motors have an 8 tooth bendix the ring gear has a different number of teeth for the V-6 Starter over the 50 starter and the V-6 starter will not fit on the 44 motor. So you have to get an 8 tooth bendix from any starter rebuild shop and then because the starter shafts are a different size from the v-6 to the 50 starters you need to have the center of the 8 tooth bendix opened up on a lathe with a carbide bit.. DO NOT TRY AND DRILL IT OUT TO .500. We wrecked a 200$ ROC drill trying, the bendix is that hard.

Or the simple solution you need a 92 tooth bolt on ring gear to work with the 10 tooth 50HP bendix. The V-6 bolt on ring gear is 94 teeth and 8 teeth on the bendix.

The rest is just a bolt on, solenoid, wiring to a toggle on/off and push button.

Regards,
                  Last edited by crankbearing; 08-21-2006, 03:55 AM.
                  Dave Scott
                  Aim Marine Inc.
                  613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                  Ottawa, Canada
                  http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
                  DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Working...
                  X