yamato 80 coil ????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamato 80 coil ????????????

3 minutes to GO motor runs fine, race starts, in 1st turn (on outside not putting much load on fin) slows down, acts like I'm turning to sharp and over loading the fin. Get around on the stright it took off ran fine. By the last turn on 2nd lap it got so bad I went stright toward shore to see if it would pickup speed it did not. went stright to pits, top plug all wet. I checked all my coils this winter and thought I got rid of the bad ones. This is the first coil I've had that checks good and acts bad, (I even run a hair dryer on coils while testing) . Is it just because I do not have it under compression that it test good ? THANKS steve..22-R

Make sure your spark plug wires are in good condition and not shorting out between the coil and spark plug. Also be sure to check the spark plug boots to ensure they are making good contact with the plug wires. Often times, they corrode, or wear out, and don't make good contact with the wires.

Call TJ and he can send you a set of "sparkies" which are replacement boots.

Comment

missing parts

hey steve:
      that motor is still being mean to ya?
      call lee and ask him, you guys left your spacer plate on my 44ci last weekend give me a call!
      marc
      m-58 rr50h
      r-58 350h
      you can live in your boat but you can't race your house!
      Marc
      R-58
      vrp/sattler power

sigpic

Comment

Steve,
        Sorry you are having problems with that motor. Take care and figure it out. that is Brian's baby, you know. Terry said to check the spark plugs and wires really good. Brian is working today, but when he gets home we will show him this post and see if he has any ideas.
        Connie

Comment

Steve,
          Brian says "LOWER" it. He thinks maybe you are running it too high. A Y80 motor runs better lower so that it gets enough water. Also, check points and BOTH coils. -after you lower the engine.

Comment

y-80 coil ???? NOT

Connie, Was in bed all week, haven't been on the computer much. Just came in from the shop. Got on and read your last message. you were right, points to # one had closed to about .002, so close I had to use a meter to tell if they were really opening. When I came in to the pits it was running on both cylinders when I backed off the thorttle. I caused the whole problem myself. Our riskmanagement has ask me for years to cut the peice off the front of our points plate. I was not prepared and threw a points plate together that had a screw hole stripped to that set of points, so I used a longer screw and locktight (sp) thinking it would be ok. Never even thought about it until I pulled the starter pully off this morning. Then I come in and you say check the points. It was never meant to be, I showed up with a blowen head gasket ???? and a bad points plate. I'm lucky I even got on the water the one time I did. But that is all OK, I went to YELM to bring Doud Reed and a D-mod boat so we could try a 44in merc. on it, THANKS to MARK MOBERLY, LEE TIETZE, JIM and JASON WILLIAMS things went pretty good, it was really just testing, the water is so cold where we test we don't set up a corse until the last of June. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP here and at the races. Hope I didn't drive anyone crazy with all the ????????. As a tec I know the hardest problems to fix are the ones caused by humans. steve..22-R, 23-R

Comment

Steve

glad you got it figured out. Are you going to make it to Newberg?
              Sean Byrne

Comment

Working...
              X