Tohatsu butterflies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu butterflies.

Bass/Tohatsu engines do not come with full butterflies in the carbs. It is up to the buyer to replace or modify the carburator butterflies to meet racing standards. Why you ask, when you spend thousands on a new motor, it does not come race ready? The reason I am told, is the fact that the Tohatsu peens the butterfly screws to prevent them from loosening. Thus, when they are removed, it could damage the threads in the throttle shaft. Bass machines decieded messing with the screws was opening a can of worms and could significantly incur added cost and time to the sale of the motors.
    So, I decieded rather than trying to solder the holes shut with the butterflies in place, I would take my chances with damaging the throttle shafts and screws by removing and replacing them myself.
    Perhaps I lucked out. The screws came out suprisingly easy.
    I had new butterflies made at Brown Tool and Machine. They cost about $50 for all three. Alan Brown used my old ones as a template. Now he should have new ones for sale on the shelf and ready to go.
    When I replaced the butterfly screws I used a drop of locktite and then re-peened them with needlenose vice-grip pliers.
    Last edited by jeff55v; 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM.

Working...
X