Question for an outboard tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for an outboard tech?

Outboard - 1986 Yamaha 115. History - last year the sensor kept popping out of the main oil tank and creating a messy engine. An outboard tech at the USTS Raleigh race (sorry - forgot name) said the rubber stopper gives up after awhile so that problem was fixed by strapping the sensor down with wire ties. Cool. No more sloppy engine, worked fine. Worked fine last fall when I fogged `er out and put it to bed for the winter.

Time to fire it up for the season. Plugs in, muffs attached and water on - trurn key, blip the choke = YAROOM! She be running. Smokey but I figure the fog oil is burning off. Many munutes later STILL smoking! Hmm.. Oh-oh. Oil has puddled in the lower pan - LOTS of oil. Oil is running out of the carb cover.

Apparently the oil system is feeding the intake manifold way too much oil. Why? Could the main tank sensor be fried? But all that does is keep the tank full, gravity feeds oil to the oil pump which by actual slimy test is working real good. The link rod from the carb throttle is a tad loose, couple degrees, and I will tighten that up, but I doubt that could cause the massive Exxon-Valdez oil slick this puppy is pumping out. Is it possible that some internal gizmo on the pump oil control shaft let go and has is set at WOT even though the external link thinger is at dead idle?

Hope one of you skilled tech mechs can offer a simple solution seeing as how this boat is supposed to be in Wilson on Friday.
    carpetbagger

clue

The main oil tank sensor failed continuity test.

Problem: Finding the part!
    carpetbagger

Comment

The sensor only sets the alarm. The big oil mess is one of two things when you last ran the motor did you run it out of gas,if you did the oil pump still was pumping the motor full of oil.The next thing if left the carb full of gas it evaporated and the oil dont so it left the big mess.I just wipe up the oil and run the motor and let it clean it self out.You can call me at 209-952-3383or 209-662-1330

Comment

Yamaha.

Doesn't the oil inject behind the carbs? If this is the case (like Suzuki) you probably have a bad oil line that will only show leakage under operation. Pull the carb cover and run it and see if the oil is coming from the intake or coming from a failed oil line. Good luck...........

Comment

Oil Ratio...

Bill- the amount of oil delivered to the intake behind the carbs from the crankshaft driven Mikuni(sp) pump is controlled by engine rpm & throttle opening.

I know on the later Yamahas for some reason if the link rod between the lower carb throttle shaft & oil pump pump has come loose the pump will spring open & will flow WOT ratio all the time.

As for the engine mounted tank. The level sender will turn on & shut off the remote oil tank pump & activate the no oil alarm if it reaches the extreme low level in the engine mounted tank. If the engine mounted tank is flowing over the issue is most likely w/that tanks sensor.

Good Luck!
          17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Scratching head . . .

Garland: The Yamahonkers inject the oil in the intake manifold, so carbs and running out of gas isn't a problem.

Treadguy: Yep, oil squirts into the intake manifold. I'm going to test it today and look for line leaks but the oil appeared to be running out of the lower carb throats, engine was tilted up slightly. Also I believe the oil is blowing through the breather hose from the main tank to the intake area just behind the carb cover.

bbackus17w: The link rod is connected but isn't adjusted to the stop, a few degrees off dead closed. I'll adjust that before test run #2. Since the main tank sensor flunked the resistance continuity test betwixt the red & black wire I'm sure the sensor is toast. Next question, top be tested today, is can I run the engine with the sensor dissconnected and possibly the remote tank pump dissconnected without the frigging alarm squacking all the time. If so, the fix is in, add oil to the gas in the tank and run `er! Option B: Leave the main tank sensor hooked up to squelch the alarm and dissconnect the remote tank pump.
            carpetbagger

Comment

I'm sure it is a defunct main tank sensor. . .

Boat is now *rigged* to run, no excess oil. I plugged the dead main tank sensor in, dissconnected the remote tank pump, and SHAZAM! Engine runs, no bleeding oil. Course I'll have to manually refill the main tank but even if I forget the onboard fuel tank has more'n 100:1 mix. I do that in the spring, add oil to the fuel just in case . . . but I've always been thinking bad oil pump and "no oil", not bad sensor and way too much oil.

Now I need to find an sensor . . . none of our local marinas have one in stock.
              carpetbagger

Comment

Yamaha oil level sensor..........

The part number is 6E5-85730-12-00. If you look on line at some of the Yamaha parts sites, you can find them easily. I found one around $90.00 and from what I remember, that is a pretty decent deal. Good luck..........

Comment

Yep, had the part number...

trying to find one in stock at a parts dealer, but the engine is 20 years old. If I don't find one this weekend in North Cakalaki I'll have Washington Marine order it. $108 - +tax but no shipping.
                  carpetbagger

Comment

Yamaha Parts............

I remember correctly, their is a big outboard dealer in or near Richmond that might have parts. The name I seem to remember (don't know if its right) Ed's Outboards? I used to work at Southside Outboards in Chesepeake, VA and remember having to buy parts from him due to a time factor and finding out they were cheaper than what it would cost us through the factory. He has 4 or 5 building jammed with motors in crates and parts out the wazoo............Just a thought.

Comment

got the part - I think . . .

S&S Marine in WIlson NC sez they will have the sensor for me on Friday. Reckon I'll swing by on my way to the race and pick it up. It's a plug & play part, E-Z breezy.

Thanks for the input all.
                      carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                      X