Lower unit sealer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit sealer?

What will seal the halves of horizontal split Yamato hatchet units?

I've tried two different kinds of Yamabond and neither worked.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Epoxy

[QUOTE=David_L6]What will seal the halves of horizontal split Yamato hatchet units?

I've tried two different kinds of Yamabond and neither worked.[/QUOT

Slow curing 2-part epoxy. Make sure the surfaces to be sealed are super clean!! Use MEK to clean surfaces.

Comment

Three Bond

We use Three Bond brand, #1104. It is gray in color, works really well for us so far.
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

We have used epoxy (difficult to clean, and the only product to be used on konig cases), yamabond (without good success), threebond (forget number but it is the silicone type) with ok success, and we have recently been using plio-bond (been able to find at ACE Hardware or from Aircraft Spruce) which cleans up well with MEK. We also use the plio-bond to assemble the alky engines. All of them require a well mating case. If needed you can "lap" them in on a true stone with some 400 grit wet/dry. Careful you don't take too much as the cases will never again match up unless you line bored the propshaft cavity. For the most part you shouldn't have a problem with the yamato horizontal splits if they are true and you have cleaned the surfaces well before applying the glue.

-Paul Fuchslin

Comment

Try RTV

We sealed a Konig vertical split case one time with red copper RTV. Sealed well, but we never could get it apart again. I understand MEK would have helped dissolve the RTV.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
            We use Three Bond brand, #1104. It is gray in color, works really well for us so far.
            That's what Tohatsu recommends for their crankcase sealer.
            Three bond #1104

Comment

sealer

gel seal ''aerobatic sealer ''you can buy it at napa......

Comment

Where can I buy MEK?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

I used to use Red LocTite on my split Konig Cases and they never leaked, etc... and never broke a case either.....

Comment

I use Loctite 518 on my A lower unit and when putting engines together
                    Loctite Flange Sealant 518 Gasket Eliminator
                    its Anaerobic not aerobatic
                    Loctite also has a good gasket remover and a primer that will speed up the cure of the 518

you can find MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) at West Marine or an aircraft supply store

good luck and let me know when you get you FEH running

matt

Comment

ACE is the place for your Racing Needs

Originally posted by David_L6
                      Where can I buy MEK?
                      Dave,
                      You can buy MEK, Kurps Hydro Racing Boat Orange and White Paint, slow set epoxy and a whole lot more at your local race shop "ACE Hardware Store"!

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6
                        Where can I buy MEK?
                        Dave, You cvan buy MEK at Home Depot, but beware as this stuff is a bad ass chemical and will attack your liver and other internals. I use aceitone and though it is bad wear gloves. The Loc Tite 510 Anaerobic sealer is good but requires a good mating surface. A good mating surface was not in Königs vocabulary. That is why they used epoxy type fillers. The best I have found for general use is Three Bond 1211, it is white in color and solvents don't attack it. It also fills gaps from poor workmanship and mecanical skills. Don't use Yama Bond where you wash or use solvents as it melts away. Simple rule of thumb, If it cleans easy with solvents then it will break down under use. Yamha Bond is good for some use that we do but not all. Yamha Bond also makes differant types of sealers as well but some are not good around methenol or carb cleaners ( Laquer thinners ). I use 510 on good fits and Three Bond on poor fits and cylinders as when you are in a hurry it kicks quick.
                        Steve

Comment

Chemical Question

Originally posted by Steve77t
                          Dave, You cvan buy MEK at Home Depot, but beware as this stuff is a bad ass chemical and will attack your liver and other internals.
                          Steve
                          Steve,
                          Is MEK as bad as "White Lighting"?
                          Bill

Comment

Just wanted to give an update on this thread. Someone else may need this info too.

The Three Bond #1104 worked great. I never did find any MEK. I used acetone to clean the case halves with. (Don't try to buy two gallons of acetone at the same time from Wal-Mart. They won't sell it to you! They told me that it's used to make illegal drugs of some kind.... )

I bought the 1104 from: www.hiperf.com.

Comment

Primer Usage

Originally posted by arltralite
                              I use Loctite 518 on my A lower unit and when putting engines together
                              Loctite Flange Sealant 518 Gasket Eliminator
                              its Anaerobic not aerobatic
                              Loctite also has a good gasket remover and a primer that will speed up the cure of the 518

you can find MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) at West Marine or an aircraft supply store

good luck and let me know when you get you FEH running

matt
                              I have used the 518 for assembly of Yamato crankcases and it works
                              very well. Have tried the primer but cannot recommend it use in any
                              thing that takes awhile to assemble....seems to harden the 518 too
                              quickly to get a good seal. Maybe it's just that I am too slow !

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X