TIMING A MERC 4 Cyl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIMING A MERC 4 Cyl.

I have a merc 500 with battery ignition. I want to spark time it with a dial indicator. Any Ideas as to where to set the timing?
    DOUG SCHULTZ--HERE FOR THE SUPPORT OF OUR SPORT

I belive .320 is Stock you can advance from there. Mike
    Mike Ounjian

Comment

what ignition system

Hi there,

You cannot time those ignition systems static as we used to with a mag.You need to mark the flywheel at TDC and then at your timing specific point IE. What you want to run 350,365 etc.. put a white line and install a timing pointer.. then you you have to run it under load and bring it to rpm to get your timing on the screw.. We used to use a control box and Merc timing plug with a tester in #1 plug wire and you could turn the keyswitch on and off to get it to spark on the timing mark.. On the new style 44 ignition you need to install a starter and a fishing flywheel and set it off the decal on the flywheel to the stock timing pointer location while cranking the engine off the starter motor, I just use a battery and a button switch to the solenoid.. Make sure you use a spark tester in all 4 wires grounded if it is electronic you will blow up something for sure if you do not.. remember where ever you time it at static on the ADI igntion (44XS) they will drop back under load by sometimes as much as 3 degrees.. IE if you time it at 26 degrees it will be 23 or 24 under load.. One thing I forgot too mention, if you are using a 44 ignition (44XS) then on the decal there is a 7 or 9 degree mark this is for the primary pick-up setting where the igntion cluster picks up on the carb, Make sure you set this as well if you do not you will notice a bad bog out of the pits for sure. there is not mid range in those carbs they switch to the high side circuit at I think 700 rpm if you do not set or synchronize the timing to this point you will feel it.. OH YA - The 7 or 9 degree mark is ATDC not BTDC.. Remeber that.. bring it TDC and then roll it past to 7 degrees.. and before you do all this you need to set your timing pointer up.. You do this with the fishing flywheel by setting your dial indicator to .464 in #1 cyl and the pointer should line up with the 464 mark on the flywheel if not set it to that mark and then you are good to time away.. Make sure that you do this first or your timing will be off. sorry for the back asswards message..

Regards,
      Last edited by crankbearing; 03-18-2006, 04:51 AM.
      Dave Scott
      Aim Marine Inc.
      613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
      Ottawa, Canada
      http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
      DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Get ahold of Lyle Mason, I believe he uses the same ignition on his 44 mod.
        Joe Silvestri
        CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
        JH/JR

Comment

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Talked with Cleaburn Phelps last night,
          he has been using a batt. ignition on his in-line 6 merc for years. He talked me through it. Thanks again everyone. Doug Schultz

Comment

44 D mod

Hey Doug, are you guys doing anymore on the 44 mercs in the Dmod class, as seen at Quincy a year or to ago?
            RichardKCMo
            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Yes Richard in NBRA a stock 44 with exaust out the bottom is a legal D mod. It's sort of simular to the APBA 44xs.

Comment

Phone

Doug,

Phone is 269-965-8406. Got your email, sorry I was not online over the weekend.

See you at the races.

Dave
                Dave Mason
                Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Timing a D Mod

Originally posted by crankbearing
                  Hi there,

You cannot time those ignition systems static as we used to with a mag.You need to mark the flywheel at TDC and then at your timing specific point IE. What you want to run 350,365 etc.. put a white line and install a timing pointer.. then you you have to run it under load and bring it to rpm to get your timing on the screw.. We used to use a control box and Merc timing plug with a tester in #1 plug wire and you could turn the keyswitch on and off to get it to spark on the timing mark.. On the new style 44 ignition you need to install a starter and a fishing flywheel and set it off the decal on the flywheel to the stock timing pointer location while cranking the engine off the starter motor, I just use a battery and a button switch to the solenoid.. Make sure you use a spark tester in all 4 wires grounded if it is electronic you will blow up something for sure if you do not.. remember where ever you time it at static on the ADI igntion (44XS) they will drop back under load by sometimes as much as 3 degrees.. IE if you time it at 26 degrees it will be 23 or 24 under load.. One thing I forgot too mention, if you are using a 44 ignition (44XS) then on the decal there is a 7 or 9 degree mark this is for the primary pick-up setting where the igntion cluster picks up on the carb, Make sure you set this as well if you do not you will notice a bad bog out of the pits for sure. there is not mid range in those carbs they switch to the high side circuit at I think 700 rpm if you do not set or synchronize the timing to this point you will feel it.. OH YA - The 7 or 9 degree mark is ATDC not BTDC.. Remeber that.. bring it TDC and then roll it past to 7 degrees.. and before you do all this you need to set your timing pointer up.. You do this with the fishing flywheel by setting your dial indicator to .464 in #1 cyl and the pointer should line up with the 464 mark on the flywheel if not set it to that mark and then you are good to time away.. Make sure that you do this first or your timing will be off. sorry for the back asswards message..

Regards,
                  Hi Dave, almost finished with the D Mod and was thinking of using the Ignition that came off the origional Merc 500. (1976) This is a mag CD with a coil, pack and dist. No battery is required. Is the timing you address the correct proceture for it. I also have the option of a Merc Magnito or a Battery Mag CD. Any advice as which one to use. Also better to swing the mag or fix it to Max timing.....Bob N-96

Comment

My 2 cents

Just had to throw this in. Mark the flywheel at your BTDC setting (350deg) to a pointer. Remove and ground plugs and hook-up a inductive timing light, then spin the engine from the flywheel nut with a hand held drill. I dont run these anymore, but when I did this always worked for me. Good Luck

Comment

yes that works!

Hey Bob,

Missed this post, sorry.. Cleaver;s post will work 100%. That is a quick way, we used to install a pointer off of the rear upper brg carrier bolt and time it through the rear of the upper cowl with a timing light.

Regards,
                      Dave Scott
                      Aim Marine Inc.
                      613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
                      Ottawa, Canada
                      http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
                      DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Working...
                      X