Kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kill switch

Why do some motors have two kill switches and others one? Specifically, I have seen Yamato 102s with both. Why would you go one way or the other?

The Y102 has points ignition-all that is required is to short the two sets of points together with a single switch to kill the engine. You can use two switches, one for each set of points shorted to ground but it is not necessary. The Y302 does not have points so each cylinder ignition must be killed individually. This can be done with two kill switches. Alternatively you can use an isolation diode block to connect both cylinders to a single kill switch to ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorewood View Post
      Why do some motors have two kill switches and others one? Specifically, I have seen Yamato 102s with both. Why would you go one way or the other?
      Both types of kill switches are available from Tom Cronk in Florida…(863) - 665 - 5449… His Hardware Retirement Sale is an earlier post here. I would suggest buying at least one spare…. and considering buying both types…just in case you might need it later. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Thanks mac19f and Dean. I have a couple of double kill switches (one in the boat and one spare) and one motor with two switches and one with one switch, so was curious why/what the differences were. I ended up keeping the double kill switch intact and using it for both motors as necessary rather than rewiring the motor with the double set up.

Comment

In MOD, an engine with 2 sets of points, each set must be grounded separately, not connected to each other. Thus, two switches or one switch that is SPDT.

Comment

Working...
          X