No announcement yet.

ASH/AXSH/FAH 1/2-inch tuck rule discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the amount of time people spend/waste discussing this topic, they could be out testing and dialing in a new set-up!

Comment

Pav

Amen to that!
      Tom L.

Comment

that's the point

Comment

Tuck

I made a prototype height gage that will facilitate checking compliance to the new rule without measuring or math; it was demonstrated at the winter nats by Jean Mackay-Schwartz. I also have a drawing that demonstrates the new rule quite clearly. If you would like a 'rule' drawing e-mail me at swilde7@comcast.net with your snail mail address. Gage drawings will be available later.

Comment

Originally posted by pav225
            With the amount of time people spend/waste discussing this topic, they could be out testing and dialing in a new set-up!
            I'm not sure what your class is, but I'm betting having to dial in a new set-up 3 times in the last 3-4 years would get old for you too.
            Moby Grape Racing
            "Fast Boats Driven Hard"

Comment

rofl maybe this will slow you guys down to my speed NOT

Comment

The SORC; Takin My Frustration Level To New Heights

Hey all, just my 2 cents on the issue. If you like what I have to say, good, and maybe if we band together we can get things changed back to the old rule that worked for decades. If not, then I guess you haven't been trying to deal with all the changes in A stock in the last few years.

That said I just want to make it very clear how much I appreciate what the SORC has done. For behold, the all knowing SORC has changed the class around so much that they've already chased 1 Region 10 racer completely out of the class, and made it so costly in terms of $$$, time, and effort to just try to keep up with the rules that it is RIDICULOUS!!!

I also want to make it as widely known as possible that before this year I had a boat that I felt very safe and secure in, didn't crash unless IIII screwed up, and was still fast. Now with this new rule we have to untuck our set-up and my boat is an accident waiting to happen. I had to run my boat in pretty severe winds last weekend, and can tell you without question in my mind that if a gust came through I could not keep my boat on the water at this point.

So in conclusion... congrats, you managed to make the rules so that a safe, fast, and fun rig now genuinely SCARES me to drive.

Mike 32-R

P.S. for those that have said, "we'll just go run Yamatos, they won't screw with them" you obviously haven't been trying to run 25SSR over the last few years.

Comment

Blowover Problems

For all of you guys who can't seem to figure out how to correct your blow over problems because it is now illegal to tuck the engine under 2" and force the boat to nose dive as is expressly warned against in the manual that came with your OMC racing engine since that setup is unsafe and dangerous, try trimming your air traps. It is a time-proven, simple procedure that will fix your problem of too much lift. Ed.
                  14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Product Misuse

In Products Liability Law, when the consumer disregards the instructions and warnings that come with the product and is thereby injured, it is referred to as "misuse". That allows the manufacturer to place all of the blame for any injury on the person who did the misus'n. Ed.
                    Attached Files
                    14-H

Comment

Product Warnings

... ADD: It is also why lawnmowers come with warning stickers that caution people not to stick their hands and feet under the mower when it is running. This is because some people, despite their sophistication, years of understanding and use of the product including a superior intellect, cannot figure out the obvious. Ed.
                      Last edited by 14-H; 05-18-2006, 06:24 PM.
                      14-H

Comment

I would like to give a sincere compliment to the SORC and Ed for taking the heat on this one. They were given evidence that extreme kick under was becoming a safety issue and had the guts to act on it.

Their solution was simple and not so radical that a set-up change could make most boats legal while still remaining very competitve. For the more extreme cases, you can shave the airtraps or move the throttle and dash forward to make your boat easier to drive with less kick under. Both solutions aren't very costly or difficult to do. Sure, you will need to do some testing, but that is part of racing.

I don't think this rule was made to help some people become more competitive, but to keep the sport safe. Rules are part of all competition, and you will never have 100% of the membership happy about changes that are made.

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H
                          In Products Liability Law, when the consumer disregards the instructions and warnings that come with the product and is thereby injured, it is referred to as "misuse". That allows the manufacturer to place all of the blame for any injury on the person who did the misus'n. Ed.
                          Oh-oh; now we've had the book thrown at us.

I've never seen an OMC A motor manual. Didn't come with either motor I had. Of course, my Yamato 302 came with a manual from the dealer, and he had a 102 manual I could buy for $5. I wonder what that OMC manual says about some of the stock modifications that are allowed to the A motor. There may be a product liability issue there as well.

I have a boat now with really deep airtraps that runs best with the motor level and actually a little deep. And our "tuck-under" boat ran pretty good with the motor level - if we pushed the transom in an inch or so. More than one way to skin a cat. More than one stock class to race.

- Happy stock owner, just no longer an A stock owner
                          Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                          sigpic
                          Portland, Oregon
                          Johnson Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Cameraboy
                            Oh-oh; now we've had the book thrown at us.

Mike: It wasn't the whole book, just one page. Ed.
                            14-H

Comment

Originally posted by 14-H
                              ... ADD: It is also why lawnmowers come with warning stickers that caution people not to stick their hands and feet under the mower when it is running. This is because some people, despite their sophistication, years of understanding and use of the product including a superior intellect, cannot figure out the obvious. Ed.

It's not the end user's fault, it's lawyer's that sue the large corporations (and win) from the obvious that hurt all. Back in the old days when you did something stupid and hurt yourself, that was a tough lesson learned. Nowadays if you injure yourself by being stupid, everyone wants to sue.
                              The warnings with all potentially dangerous equipment are there because of lost law suits.

Enough of the hijacked thread, I needed to know the details of the rule change so I can properly inspect the A's next weekend. AXSH, ASH and FAH all need to follow the new rule is what I understand now.

Comment

Originally posted by ricochet112

Enough of the hijacked thread, I needed to know the details of the rule change so I can properly inspect the A's next weekend. AXSH, ASH and FAH all need to follow the new rule is what I understand now.
                                See if you can get ahold of Steve Wilde's new inspection tool for this. It is pretty cool. Otherwise, check the center of the aft end as always and then use a straight edge and ruler to make sure the front of the gearbox at the point is not more than 1/2" higher. Ed.
                                Last edited by 14-H; 05-19-2006, 04:20 PM.
                                14-H

Comment

Working...
                                X