No announcement yet.

125 engines ... Pros and Cons ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rats! 80+ already? I thought 125 was intended to be a 70-ish mph starter class for PRO. Maybe they should have made it 100cc's instead of 125

Comment

Yeah, I would be very interested in the class if they were about 70mph or less. 75-80 is too quick for me. I've raced 25SSH several times and it's fun, but on the edge for what I feel comportable in (I'm 150 lbs). I wouldn't want to go faster. But maybe it feels different in a PRO boat, not much lift maybe, and laying down. Designed to stay on the water more?

I'd like to try go for a ride in one some day. I've always loved the look, smell and sound of pro stuff since I was rug rat.
      Fralick Racing
      Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

125 Ride

I am sure that we can arrange for a ride if you get to race. Competition speeds are going to be in the 70MPH to 75MPH range on most courses of 3/4 mile or less. Most of the boats are not floating very high. And with one cylinder there is not a lot of torque, so control of the boat is easy. 125 races are won coming off the corners, not at the end of the straight aways.

John McCorvey's 125 VRP showed 80+ at Alexandria 2 years ago while testing. But he ran much further than the actual straightaway and had no acceleration. That prop was not raced. But the boat's attitude was stable at the speed.
        David Weaver

Comment

Another 0-125 engine manufacturer

You guys may be interested to hear that I have heard from a very reliable source that Konny is also working on a 0-125 engine. Exact details of the engine, availability, etc are not known yet. May be Steve Litzel knows more about Pavel's plans?

So, watch this space.....!!

Comment

How about propellers ...

What's working and what's not ... I'm sure Mr. Dewald has had a lot of trial and error experience by now so what do you 125 guys thinks is the direction to go with props for these neat little engines in terms of number of blades, pitch, diameter, shape and why?
            Untethered from reality!

Comment

Neal:

With all these questions, are you planning on racing 125 this year?

Joe

Comment

Call.....

Once you have figured out which motor, gearbox, gear ratio, boat and course size your going to run, just call Craig. 610-926-2964. He can get you real close with the above information. Most of the fast guys are running 3 or 4 blade cleavers.

Michael D-1

Comment

Andrew

I weigh a whole lot less than you and I think it is an awesome ride especially the way the lay down boat handles vs. driving on your knees. You are welcome to take it for a ride anytime.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                  Tomtall 06

Comment

Aside from Depue, what's another great event to watch at? I'd be coming from Buffalo, NY.
                    Fralick Racing

Comment

Andrew the pro stuff is fun, and I'm sure not as much of a heartbreak as when I ran pro in 82/83. My Konig was the most kantakerous motor I have ever owned.

But the experience when you get up to full speed then reach a little farther to slide the tuned pipe and get a whole bunch more speed is great! And of course you have to love the smell of the fuel.......

Comment

125's (& 250's) ran at Lock Haven PA ... about 4 hours from you

Comment

Region 2 has had some growth with the PRO stuff. I am sure Mike Schmidt can direct you to some of the New England Races. Of course any of the USTS races are good our scedule is posted on the website www.ustitleseries.org

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                          Tomtall 06

Comment

Yeah, the motor maintenance scares me a bit... but some say they are very reliable now a days.

It is likely more than I want to get in to, but has been on my mind for a couple years. I've got Dad to measure up some when he's been in Florida the last couple winters.

I'd like to get out and see some in action.

I smell a road trip coming on... haha.
                            Fralick Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Joe J
                              Neal:

With all these questions, are you planning on racing 125 this year?

Joe
                              Joe ... I've been planning this for several years now ... took a long time to pull the trigger but now with a 125CCR heading this way ... a new VRP engine just a few weeks away ... plans for a 125CCH and Rossi combination in the works I'm real close. Hope to have everything sorted out by Hammond and Depue.

PS: Hope to see some of you R11 folks at Oroville in a few weeks if barrel tasting weekend up in Sonoma doen't get in the way.
                              Untethered from reality!

Comment

Neal, I understand completely. Last winter I put together a 250 runabout, after prpbably 15 years of wanting a big runabout.

As for the wine tasting, after living in Napa for 15 years, I can give you some good suggestions if you need any.

Hopefully you can make it to Oroville, both Paul and I will be testing on Friday.

Joe

Originally posted by Dr. Thunder
                                Joe ... I've been planning this for several years now ... took a long time to pull the trigger but now with a 125CCR heading this way ... a new VRP engine just a few weeks away ... plans for a 125CCH and Rossi combination in the works I'm real close. Hope to have everything sorted out by Hammond and Depue.

PS: Hope to see some of you R11 folks at Oroville in a few weeks if barrel tasting weekend up in Sonoma doen't get in the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X