Yamato 80 ring compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 80 ring compressor

What do you guys use for a ring compressor on the Yamato 80 motor? Do you use a pair so you can drop the cylinder block down on both pistons simultaneously?
    I purchase a generic small engine one but it’s to tall. Thought about a hose clamp but would rather not.
    Don’t want to break another ring.

Impart some knowledge upon me.

The cylinder is tapered, so ring compressors are not necessary. The rings will compress on their own. Just do one piston at a time and make sure you have the end gap pin lined up
    Last edited by seanp3; 08-24-2020, 02:15 PM.
    Sean Byrne

Comment

I wonder if my motor has aftermarket pistons as there is no pin in the ring groove.

Comment

You will need replacement pistons. Otherwise the ring will fall into a port and do considerable damage.

Comment

Well,
          It’s a poor man who can’t own up to their mistakes. There is a pin it just doesn’t come up to the top of the ring grove, and wouldn’t you know it’s right where the ring broke.

Sometimes you need to pay to learn, I’ll order some rings today and chock this one up to experience.

Thanks folks,

Comment

On my Merc 25ss and Y80 and other 2 cylinder engines I mark the pin locations on the piston with a black sharpie so I can see mark to align ring when ready to push each cylinder piston in. I just use my fingers to squeeze the ring and the sleeve top taper does the rest. Then check if OK by pushing the ring in the groove with a thin wood stick through the exhaust port to verify that ring goes in and out free . I oil the cylinders and rings before pushing.
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR View Post
              On my Merc 25ss and Y80 and other 2 cylinder engines I mark the pin locations on the piston with a black sharpie so I can see mark to align ring when ready to push each cylinder piston in. I just use my fingers to squeeze the ring and the sleeve top taper does the rest. Then check if OK by pushing the ring in the groove with a thin wood stick through the exhaust port to verify that ring goes in and out free . I oil the cylinders and rings before pushing.
              I am going to make use of the sharpie trick, seems like a good habit when putting a motor together.
              I guess I have just been living with 4 strokes too long.

Comment

FYI... If you need to compress the rings for assembly... use two popsicle sticks from each side... square off the ends that touch the ring and thin the thickness a bit...Good luck in your venture.
                sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Dean,
                  Thanks I’ll get there it’s not rocket science just minor mistakes. My motor spun a rod bearing hard before I got it and was a basket case. But I’m going to get it back together.

Hauled home the husk of an old Bezoats boat this weekend, we’re going to finish stripping it and see if I can have a running boat by spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
                    Dean,
                    Thanks I’ll get there it’s not rocket science just minor mistakes. My motor spun a rod bearing hard before I got it and was a basket case. But I’m going to get it back together.

Hauled home the husk of an old Bezoats boat this weekend, we’re going to finish stripping it and see if I can have a running boat by spring.
                    Nice.... Show us some pictures during your rebuild.
                    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Luc
                      Were the Y80 rings OEM that come pre gapped and have marks for install toward the head or after market that usually requires end gap filing? If after market what end gap did you use?
                      Pete
                      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Rings came from TJ and he told me they should be 0.006 to .008” they were already 0.008" and inch and a half down in the bore. May be I have a little cylinder wear but I like the idea of having a little extra ring gap anyway as I've been told these y80 can run hot.

Comment

What i would like to find is a GOOD tool to spread the rings so i don't bust my fingers up taking them off and putting them in the grove without bending them! TJ gave me a part number of a set i ordered from Mcmaster Carr i believe but they were not very good..............any thoughts?

Comment

https://shop.snapon.com/product/Snap...g-Pliers/SRP5C

Comment

Thanks Ricky.................

Comment

Working...
                              X