Possible time based elims idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible time based elims idea

Hello everyone, I've been kicking around an idea for a long time now and I'm sure someone has thought about this but has never spoken up about it so I just wanted to get thoughts and Opinions on this. Before I say the idea keep in mind how many times you've been screwed over in your Elim because every fast boat was in your heat and you got a 5th and you needed a 4th, but you were faster than other boats in different heats that got in. Well what if instead of a points system for Elims, we go based on time and how if your time is better than other boats in different heats you get into the final instead. I know some people are going to hate this, and that’s fine because it was just a thought.

Thank you for reading this and I hope some people will agree on this with me
    Logan Sweeney

When you have eliminations and then a final, all those people that are eliminated only get 1 heat for their entry fee. I like a system where the top 11 boats make the final and those eliminated have a last chance heat to fill the 12 th spot. This way every racer gets two heats, and that last chance winner gets 3. It only works well if you have 15 or more boats initially.

Comment

I never said only one heat, I’m saying combine the times from the first heat to the second and that’s your placing

Comment

Change the name from eliminations to qualifications and base qualifiers on combined times for the two heats. Not a bad idea! Hope to see some constructive comments.

Comment

When in High School,,, Running track events were by time,, not placement. Logan has a good idea.

Comment

Happened this past weekend at Crystal Lake in ASH.
            11P Joe Sees III

Comment

Good idea.

Comment

I always like the elimination format that was used for the Pro nationals, the three heat format. Everyone gets two heats, but the same people are not always in the same elims, so you don't always draw the "fast" heat.

Joe

Comment

Not a bad idea, but you have to take into account different water conditions, gun jumpers in front of you, you may be 8th but the first legal boat running in rough water not having to run a fast time, just a legal one.I do understand the complaint, there were 12 heats at the Beloit nationals in I think 1971,with a national champion spot taken, only 11 of the fastest firsts would get in.I took a second in my heat, which on time was faster than all of the other first's but sat on the beach.Yes I was beat by the guy that won it. Just my Nationals luck!

Comment

Exactly Herb, why not have the fastest of the fast get into the finals instead of people who get lucked in. I want to steer away from luck and have the finals based on elite driving.

Comment

How do you deal with boats that only get time from one heat because of gun jumping or other issues? Essentially one gun jump would eliminate you whereas winning one heat and a DQ could get you in with a third if you have four qualifying spots. This creates a similar problem to the existing system as the fastest boat would almost certainly be eliminated with a one heat DQ.

Comment

I'm not sure, I just thought of this rule and wanted to get thoughts and possibly have people from the commissions discuss this and debate this, but if I was on a commission I would say that the boats who race the hardest should get in and not have people luck into the finals.

Comment

I've been on both sides of this fence and sometimes things work out for you and sometimes they don't.

It sure stinks when it doesn't go your way.

Keep the ideas coming Logan.
                          Tim Weber

Comment

I like your idea Logan as some parts of it has merit. Obviously, there are some drawbacks but you are thinking outside the box and I appreciate that!
                            Last weekend before announcing the ASH elim heats at Crystal Lake, Scott Reed said the following to all at the drivers meeting:
                            "If you don't like your elimination heat, you should have signed up in a different order."
                            I about fell off my lawn chair laughing.
                            And, I bet he thought I wasn't paying attention!
                            http://www.stockoutboard.com/

Comment

I know this idea is not complete but at the national meeting if the people in the commissions talk about this and discuses all the flaws and fixes them we could have a great idea and possibly a new rule.

​I want to take the luck out of racing, racing is supposed to be about racers driving hard and earning there spot in the final.
                              Last edited by Logan8-S; 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X