"Brother-in-law" help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Brother-in-law" help needed

Need some advice on the brother-in-laws fishing motor. 91 Mariner 3 cyl 60hp. Parked it after being on the river, running good, and when he takes it out a few days later, has no spark at all. I'm thinking "brain box", the local repair guy (without seeing the motor yet) says if the brain is gone, the rectifier is probably gone also.

Expensive repair, but was wondering if there is a way to check these, to make sure these are the problem before spending the cash.

THX in advance
    Steve
    106-R / TEAM JDS

sigpic

Mariner Wohs

This engine is very prone to loosing the ignition stator under the flywheel. It can be checked easly with a DVA (direct voltage adaptor ) (Available from "Repair" or even "Radio Shack") pluged into a common anilog or lcd volt meter. Your local dealer can test this problem if needed. The cdi box may have failed as well if it got a power spike when the stator failed. From my experience though it only occures about 20% of the time. The origanal number on your stators will have been super seeded several times. I have had very good luck with the Rapair remanufactured stators for a replacment of this unit. They also carry a two year warrenty as apposed to Merc's 90 day warrenty. Good Luck!
    Tom L.

Comment

I also think that this is a stator problem. But before you spend any money I would check the lanyard (kill switch). The best way to do that is to unplug the big black connector at the engine. This is the boat harness, unpluging the connector will elliminate all stop circuts. Then with a spark tester on all the leads, take a jumper wire and put power to the yellow/red wire at the starer soleniod. This will turn the motor over so stay clear of moving parts and don't use the flyweel as a bench. If you still have no spark then proceed with checking the engine for the problem. If you gained back spark then it will be in the boat. It is most likely to be the stator, espeacially if the stator is a black one. cdi boxes usually loose spark to a few of cylinders.

Comment

Merc switch

Before you test all the components, make the merc switch is not open. it is a little black tube looking plastic with one or wire coming out of it, Usually on the front shroud or by the switchbox. I usually throw them in the garbage.

YOu can also do a resistance check on the stator and the trigger wires at the switch box, remove the wires from the box and then there is a color sequence to check these - USE a manual and make sure your scales are right on the meter.

The stator is usually the culprit, they go open on one of the circuits all the time.

I would check wiring and all that first before changing parts if it was working when put away - maybe you have some pesty critter in there making a mess.

Regards,
        Dave Scott
        Aim Marine Inc.
        613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
        Ottawa, Canada
        http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
        DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

1-877-445-7926 Toll Free number for RAPAIR/CDI Electronics. Or

www.rapair.com

Ask for Ray. He is the one working on the CDI box from the Honda 4-stroke we tried. Trying to eliminate the rev limiter.

We're also looking into a cdi conversion with variable advance curve for our D-MOD Merc.

Nice guys to work with.

Full page sponcers/advertisers in the PROPELLER. Mention you saw their ad in the PROPELLER, and that you are a APBA member!

19P ......."I get by with a little HELP from my friends............"
          Last edited by STEVE FRENCH; 01-25-2006, 01:22 AM.
          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Working...
          X