correct gear lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct gear lash

Im restoring a ke4 that was in very bad shape and thought since the gearbox is somewhat similar to the racing cases someone here might be able to help. When I first removed the pump cartridge I discovered there was only a small lump of grease on the pinion, the rest of the case was bone dry. I have since replaced the seals and filled with 105. With everything back together, shims and all exactly the way I found them, and a propeller installed I get two different results when turning the driveshaft. If I pull up on the shaft and turn everything feels pretty smooth, I occasionally feel a slight bump and there is a slight noise. If I let the shaft rest and turn, the gears cog fairly rough and there is a noticeable grind noise. Do I need to look it over again or is this normal?

Normal. The gears will move to the"lifted" position under power.
    kk

Comment

As krazy karl states it's normal and under power the driveshaft will be pushed up. With the drive shaft pulled up and rotating the drive shaft the gear mesh should be smooth as slicing soft butter no bump or hard spots.. Have you checked the actual gear lash? To do pull drive shaft up and just lightly rock CW and CCW the driveshaft and feel the back and forth slack in the gears it should be in the 0.003"- 0.005" range but difficult to measure without factory set up tools. But familiar feel can determine if ok. If there is no slight gear slack the lash is too tight and shims are needed to correct.

Have you checked the crankshaft endplay? Under load the driveshaft will also push the crankshaft up. On those old Merc engines I think the endplay is in the 0.008"-0.012" range.

Here is a great site for these old Mercs and the members are very helpful with a lot of experience:

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/portal/index.html
      "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
      No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Working...
      X