Let's talk shear pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk shear pins

On my 44 Mods I have been using 5mm blk iron socket heads and cutting to length. For the most part I have not had any issues but these do not measure true 5mm. This may have contributed to me snapping prop shaft last year. I know guys are also using music wire but this also does not measure true. Any info on buying true 5mm round stock needed. Supplier, shear strength, etc.

Thanks
    Lars T

Parker Steel International, Toledo, Ohio has 4140 alloy metric round bar in 5mm diameter. You can cut to length with bolt cutters or cut off wheel. Send to your local heat treat and have him process to 42-43 rockwell C. I have made thousands and sold them at the races to pay mine and my sons entry fees for many years.

Comment

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      I still have one I bought from you in the 70's. Those things last forever.

Larry, saw your private question to me, but I can't see where to reply. Please contact me at tridentracing@new.rr.com

That's my e-mail, and I'd be happy to reply...

Short answer: Raise, but...

Comment

Larry, I sell 5mm heat treated shear pins from GRM that hold up to over 200 HP. They are 5 pins for $15.00 and they work. Contact me if you want
      Rex Hall rexfordhall@aol.com

Comment

Koney and Konig shear pins work very well. They will hold up under high HP engines. In the past we have used aircraft high shear rivets and also bolts when we were using 3/16 and 1/4 in. pins.

Comment

I to sell 5 mm pins for 10.00 per bag of 8, contact me at Steve77t@ aol.com

Comment

I also sell 5mm shear pins. My price is 5 pins for $10.00.

Jim Kirts

Comment

Working...
            X