Recessing a motor at the transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessing a motor at the transom

What is the current theory about recessing the motor into the boat at the transom to get the gearcase nose cone closer to the boat bottom.Yamato 102 in 20SSH class.Right now the tip of the nose cone is 6in.from the bottom.

I have found that you really have to test your set up to find the SWEET spot for the motor. We had 3 motor boards for J merc - J OMC and OMC A on the same boat.

Comment

There is no one magic universal spot for the motor on a hydro. On one of my boats I had to move the motor back about 3/4 inch because it wanted to drop the right sponson in the turn and cause the boat to hook rather badly. This seems like a really small amount of change for positive results, but it did the trick. In this case it was a 4cyl. Merc with a steel tower and steel Quincy pipes so it has some heft to it.

Comment

I've heard tucking the motor works on A sized boats but with the Yamato classes that may not be right. After testing you might end up back instead. Testing is the best way to find out unless someone had the same boat, motor, made the changes, did well & is willing to tell.. Otherwise be careful of big changes, often just a little is all you need.
        Team Tower

Comment

Working...
        X