25XS maintanence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25XS maintanence?

I have an older 25XS with the longer shaft that we play around with. What is the general maintanence for the racing lower unit? I know how to care of a standard fishing motor, but I'm sure this is much different. Also is there anywhere online to get a mechanical sketch of the lower unit and powerhead?

Thanks,
    Kyle

25 xs

Kyle

I've had a 25 now for 5-6 years and it's been pretty good. Lubrication and leaks are key. Check regular for any cracks in the seals that you can see and use good quality oil and lube the propshaft bearings regularly. Watch for any metal in the oil when you drain it into a clean container. A pair of visegrips
    with a cloth to protect the propshaft and you can keep an eye if the backlash is changing.

Hope this helps

Randy Dodd

04 25xs
    SPEED-SPRAY-ACTION !!!

Comment

Randy,

I appreciate the advice. Is there a special tool to take the cone off by the shaft to gain access to the seals and bearing? Or how is it done?

Thanks,
      Kyle

Comment

tail cone

Hey Kyle,

Yes there is a special cone nut that slides over the the propshaft and onto the cone then two pins go into the two holes on the cone and line up with notches in the tool, the cones are left hand thread. Do not overtighten them when reinstalling and use some anti-seize compound on the threads to prevent galling.

I have those tools for sale they are 85USD if you would like one.

Regards,
        Dave Scott
        Aim Marine Inc.
        613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
        Ottawa, Canada
        http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
        DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

kyle,

you should pretty much regrease the bearings in the tailcone after every weekend of use. Also check the oil in the unit regularly for water by draining it and replacing the oil. As long as its set up well and you follow these tips you shouldnt have much trouble.

Jake
          Jake

Comment

Thanks for all the information.

Kyle

Comment

Working...
            X