Dynomometer -- back yard style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynomometer -- back yard style

I am interested in building a machine to hook up to the drive shaft of an A sidewinder up to the yamato engines ie 15-40 hp and measure the performance on a static stand. I envision an oil pump, about a 10 gallon oil resovoir, pressure guage, variable gate valve or valves and a Mychron 4 data logger to develop a series of tests to improve performance. Has anybody else done this and what advice can you provide for this project? What size pump and or other measures should I use to be in the ballpark of usefulness?

Smiley 68R

Check out Land ans Sea -They have several smaller engine dyno set ups - may give an idea or 2

Comment

Originally posted by Fastjack View Post
      Check out Land ans Sea -They have several smaller engine dyno set ups - may give an idea or 2
      I have a Land and Sea Kart eng. dyno they are not cheap. The type of dyno you are talking about was used in Karts at one time, try Bob's 4 cycle.com you should find some info there.

Comment

Here's a couple pics of a dyno a friend has. Pics are with a 125 VRP. I have run a 302 but needed a different stand to use the driveshaft housing and stock exhaust system like seen in the background of middle pic with a SST 45 driveshaft housing on that stand. I believe a sidewinder was on one of these a few years ago as well. Stuska dynos are located close-by in Sussex WI if you're interested in a water brake.

Comment

• brboatbuilder
          brboatbuilder commented
          Editing a comment
          Team B&H, Looks like you were using an exhaust gas thermocouple in the center section of the expansion chamber, would you share the temperatures you were measuring and were they on gas or methanol? brboatbuilder

• Black Sheep
          Black Sheep commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah! I see'm just like that at Yard Sales all the time! LOL!
      Working...
      X