need some help on this motor 40 merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help on this motor 40 merc

I have a chance to get a 40 merc but I would like to know what is the next step to make it a race motor? How much would it cost to make it a race motor? it is a 1979 40 merc. some one is selling it very cheap and it does run. Can any help me or put me in the direction? here is a picture of the motor.
    Attached Files
    I have the need for speed but not
    the bank account.

7-P pro,mod,soAPBA,DVORA,TRORA

Not a candidate for a race motor

Comment

Originally posted by Bluestreak
      I have a chance to get a 40 merc but I would like to know what is the next step to make it a race motor? How much would it cost to make it a race motor? it is a 1979 40 merc. some one is selling it very cheap and it does run. Can any help me or put me in the direction? here is a picture of the motor.

run as far away from that motor as possible, as that design was one of Mercury's worst! If you are after a 40, then that means 40 cubic inches, and those motors were the MK55 and 35A's 4cyl's, to name the big ones. The 40 is still raced in AOF/NBRA in it's own class, but if you wanted to race in the APBA, the 44 is the BEST CHOICE. You will be looking for powerheads, etc from motors looking like this one...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-HP...82764507QQrdZ1
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

A four cylinder is a lot to bite off for a first ride...you might have more fun at first with a two cylinder like a converted 20 H. A good running 4 cylinder has a lot of snot and is definitly capable of seriously injuring you...A ripp'n 44 merc on a the right hydro will do over 80 mph...and will get to those speeds in what feels like 10 feet...like a missle. If you decide you want to tackle a 40ci or a 44ci merc I have about 10 for you to choose from let me know if I can help. good luck

Sonny
        Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

The powerheads are available and easy to find, eather 40 ci. or 44.ci. It is the tower housings and racing lower units that cost the money....Bob N-96

Comment

thanks for the help

I have made my mind that I will run a stock 302 Yamato motor and if any one has one or knows some one is sell on let me know. thanks for all the help on the merc.
            you can call me if you like if there are some leads.

Bryan Leone
            570-962-2727 hm
            1-888-405-4151 wk
            570-263-7065 cell
            I have the need for speed but not
            the bank account.

7-P pro,mod,soAPBA,DVORA,TRORA

Comment

Working...
            X