F.E. motors vs. stock omc motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.E. motors vs. stock omc motors

What version 3cly are raced? What model and serial number ranges are ok?
    Is there a lot of machine work involved. What gear ratios are racers running?

I'm not an expert on these, but the choice would appear to be a 75hp and in decending order the 70 65 60 and last the 55. There are a ton of model numbers and serial number groups from 1968 to 85 that are all 49ci; 86 to 88 they made both 56 and 49ci triples, make sure a later motor is a 49. Of the 49 ci motors I have not heard that it makes much difference which one you start with to make into a racer. To be out front you will probably need a Runne exhaust box and carbs from a 75 (or be related to Lyle Mason ).

Few FE's are using other than 1:1
    Last edited by sam; 10-11-2005, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Being Related......

Being I am related, I know a little something about the 3 Cyl....

You can use any of the blocks above and achieve good results. Stock exhuast works well if you hack it up a little. Runne Exhaust is okay to, not sure on cost. We have made our own and it cost me right about $30.00. For the Amt of aluminum needed our yards around here will let you pick through the recycle pile of pieces and usually give it to you.

Carbs, well, I have run all of them, and done well with them. You just have to play with jetting for the weather.

Ignition - Late model works well, but not cheap, old style works just as well and is pretty cheap. The MDS Concepts that utilizes the Merc 650 Mag system is another good choice. I have one and am in the process of dialing it in.

Gear Ratios................ better question is what unit holds up under the torque..... My experience is Bass holds up well, but I am still working out getting the speed. Yamato Hatchet, spiral cut gears, handles the best, and is the fastest, but not very durable, maybe half a season and that is a maybe. Konny, west coasters have good luck with them, I found my rig has handling issues with it, but speed is there. Not sure on holding up, but like I said, West Coast guys have had them a couple years now. The old Merc 44XS foot works real well to, holds up for about a season or more. Inson foot will not hold up. Speedmaster I have seen hold up very well. Luce runs one and he claims 7 years or more together.
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

thanks '
        The information was very helpfull. I work at a omc dealership and have a lot of motors and parts. I would like to start running this class. Are the motors hard to build? I own a 250/350cch old style pugh would I be able to run that motor on my boat? thanks so much for the help.
        fran

Comment

Originally posted by N80250cch
          thanks '
          The information was very helpfull. I work at a omc dealership and have a lot of motors and parts. I would like to start running this class. Are the motors hard to build? I own a 250/350cch old style pugh would I be able to run that motor on my boat? thanks so much for the help.
          fran
          Its a place to start at least ... it is what I have used in FEH

Comment

feh boat motor info

I have run a pugh 350 boat for last few years but I find the bottom is a little narrow and boat is hard to get out of the corner. Other than that is works great. This class is big on the west coast in Washington and Idaho.
            As for info on motors and design contact Steve Benson 360 705 1202 or sasbenson@comcast.net
            He is very involved in design and building of this engine for racing.
            As for lower unit, I have run a Bass unit for 4 years no problems just change oil and use good quality lube. Bass now makes a clamp bracket and tower that is very durable and easy to mount on any boat. It adjust up and down along with kick out and thrust bracket availablity.
            Sid Bass can be reached at 360 373 3839.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by hshawwpba
              I have run a pugh 350 boat for last few years but I find the bottom is a little narrow and boat is hard to get out of the corner. Other than that is works great. This class is big on the west coast in Washington and Idaho.
              As for info on motors and design contact Steve Benson 360 705 1202 or sasbenson@comcast.net
              He is very involved in design and building of this engine for racing.
              As for lower unit, I have run a Bass unit for 4 years no problems just change oil and use good quality lube. Bass now makes a clamp bracket and tower that is very durable and easy to mount on any boat. It adjust up and down along with kick out and thrust bracket availablity.
              Sid Bass can be reached at 360 373 3839.

Hope this helps
              Does it look like this? This one sure is sweet looking.
              RichardKCMo
              Attached Files
              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

feh boat nice!

here is mine but really want a new pugh with 39" bottom 12 '6 if I can find or a Kit to build a new one.
                Not sure if picture came out on post I can't see it.
                Appears file is to large???
                Last edited by hshawwpba; 10-15-2005, 08:56 AM.

Comment

pugh hydro

This one is 12'4" don't know other dimensions.
                  What would make the one you desribe better? thanks
                  RichardF
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Hey Fran...how are ya?...I've been doing a lot of research on the 3 cyl 2 stroke. It is originally a europen design devoped by the swiss. The first Question that pops to mind is why 3? why not 4... or a big 2? As it turns out, what you are looking at with a 3 hole'r is in fact a supercharged 2 cylinder. There is a 120 degree difference in one cylinder that acts as an internal pulse charge that affectvely supercharges the other cylinders. I have spent some time descussing this with Bob Goller and I am trying to develop a 45 omc with a sliding stinger pipe. Fran...being a pro guy, you probably have all the hardware in your boat for a set of stinger pipes. I think a 45ci omc set up like a Yamato mod... or a pro motor would be a monster in FEH. What do you guys think?...Has anyone ever tryed this?
                    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Sonny, you can buy the fully developed motor and a boat made for it right here on Hydroracer

email me

Comment

I dont know if Rich ever sold this boat, call him if you have the balls to really go fast!

http://homepage.mac.com/hydroracer/R...toAlbum55.html
                        HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

thats what i'm talkin' about

Dan, now that looks like it's got hair on it. Does it race, where?
                          RichardF
                          RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

I've seen the Apel 4 point and the fixed stinger pipe...but how about a sliding stinger? or actually two stinger pipes connected to the block?
                            Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Originally posted by Admin
                              I dont know if Rich ever sold this boat, call him if you have the balls to really go fast!

http://homepage.mac.com/hydroracer/R...toAlbum55.html
                              He still has the boat. It's in the Spokane Wa. area. Beautiful rig, and might have all of 6 races on it. Think he's asking $6000 for the rig, complete w/ prop, extra fresh 45 gear case, and mixc. other parts. I know he's got way more than that invested. He's currently racing another 4 point Apel in DSH.

Give him a call!
                              Steve
                              106-R / TEAM JDS

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X