102 Yamato vs 302 Yamato vs other motors "questions"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 102 Yamato vs 302 Yamato vs other motors "questions"

Hello every one I have questions and hope some one or more than one can help??
    which motor is better to start with for some one just starting out in racing?
    which motor is the newer one?
    which one will give you the bigger bang for your buck?
    whick one is more reliable?
    which one is better for Csh class?
    which one is more technical to work with? (easier to work with or Harder)
    what is the advantage and disadvantage one over the other?
    Is there a differant motor that is better to start out with then the Yamato?
    which motor is more forgiving in the tech department?
    Is there any thing that I should have asked but didn't?

I'm new and have alot of questions and a question not asked is a dumb question. I'm trying to find out as much as possible can you help.

I spoken to Shawn last night and he has one of his motors for sale and before I jump on to it and buy it, I need some help in helpping me make a decision on what motor would be the best for me to start out with. Shawn has a 102 Yamato for sale for $1450.
    Shawn thanks for the talk and the info on your motor and every thing else.
    I have the need for speed but not
    the bank account.

7-P pro,mod,soAPBA,DVORA,TRORA

The 102 is no longer available from Yamato, while the 302 is currently being raced in Japan. All parts for the 302 are currently available, and most parts for the 102 are too. The 102 may be a little faster on a hydro, while the 302 is a better runabout motor. The 102 has a breaker point ignition and must be maintained constantly, while the 302 has an electronic ignition and once it is set it is good foerver. A "new" 302 is 1995.00 plus shipping from Seattle. There are several changes needed to make it "race ready". If you have further questions email me at tjohnston@localdialup.com

Comment

Bluestreak,

RE: your question about "a better motor to start with than the Yamato" ... probably not.

If you're just starting out, a Yamato is an excellent choice because, for the most part you fuel 'em and run 'em. They're an excellent motor and lots of folks are running them, so there's lots of competition.

Although I love Mercs (and admire the Hot Rod) and have for many years, and will run one someday, I can tell you from experience, the first year or so of racing is much nicer if you can concentrate on learning to drive, keeping your stuff together, and figuring out where you fit in this crazy sport...without having to constantly tweak on things. The Yamato is the front door to this sport.

I run a 202D (NBRA allows the 202 to run with the 102s and 302s) and it's a real hot rod. I've found it to be very torquey in the corners and quite capable on the straights. And, like I said...fuel it and pull on it...it's ready to race.

Dan
      O-49

Comment

Working...
      X