Stock runabout question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock runabout question

I want to run the Top 'O Michigan marathon and need to know what do do to my runabout to make it legal. It is a Desilva KR that I run in DMR. It has the lifting rails on the aft 20" or so of the deck-chine intersection. This creates a small negative deadrise more than the 5/8" allowed and may or may not disrupt the side of the boat depending on how you read the rule. Can any stock inspectors weigh in here and let me know what I can do to make it legal? Would a filler that extruded inboard from the bottom of the rails to the chine make me OK?

Thanks for any and all help here as I really want to run it this year.

Steve Roskowski
    317 831 5318 eves.

Cut the lift rails off!

I was thrown out at Ocoee for this very thing. I think its sort of a joke myself since in the rule book negative dead rise is not even defined in the glossary of terms. According to Desilva, they have had lift rails on boats for 50 years in all forms of kneel down racing.

What I have heard started the real scrutiny was with the J committee as Sam Hemp had a boat at the nationals that was disputed for a similar feature.

Tim
    Tim Weber

Comment

Tim,

Did they get you for negative deadrise? With a filler they would be legal by that standard I'd think.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

Comment

Negative dead rise was it.

You could use a filler block ,I think, as long as it is be incorporated as part of the non trip.

Tim
        Tim Weber

Comment

I don't think these lift rails do any good until you start going pro boat speeds. In the smaller classes we actually showed better speeds with out them. If I were to run the marathon I would take them off completly. You will need to maybe put a small chine fin on both sides to eliminate the possibility of spinning out. You also need a medium size center fin. Remember you will be making right and left turns and some will be greater than 180 degrees both left and right. Also remember to replace your steering cable. I had one break last year in DSR and it totaled the boat when it hit the sea wall in the river at around 50 mph. This race is 42 miles long and you will not win it in the river. You need to be dependable and reasonably fast. Any other info feel free to give me a call. 1-248-568-4622. We have won this race over 25 times between me and Dewey. I will help anyone that needs it. If you have never ran it you don't know what your missing. The beach we pit from is perfect for your family to watch. The water is so clear you could drink it. August is the best time to be up in this area. And the party we have at the Pinehurst or Inn Between which are bars on the river within walking distance of the pits is one to remember. If you want to see what a boat looks like when it hits the wall at 50mph it is hanging up in the Inn Between. Check it out friday night when you get there. SEE YA SOON Mike
          mike ross

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Weber
            Cut the lift rails off!

What I have heard started the real scrutiny was with the J committee as Sam Hemp had a boat at the nationals that was disputed for a similar feature.

Tim
            The boat that won was not a B & H just making sure Sam is not gettting all the blame on this. Not saying anyone is blaming Sam, just pointing out that I don't want people to think it was Sam that did this to my boat boats. On the boat that won, I actually added the rail, not the boat builder...it was thrown out for negitive dead rise.

Sam's boat was thrown out in JR also with one of my other daughters driving. Both boats were thrown out for having negitive dead rise. But they were not the same design of rail. Sam if your reading this please comment if I'm wrong. Don't want to confuse anyone. Sam's rail was actually a fin made out of wood.

Bottom line is this...this is another issue that is very confusing.

As a matter of fact at the National meeting I believe the J Committee actually reworded the rule and determined that both boats were in fact legal???

Not trying to cause issues, just trying to make sure everyone understands the rules before hand and someone doesn't find out the hard way.

1 Week....God I can't wait. 35 years of doing this and I still get excited going to the nationals!!!!!
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I thought this was attributed to Sam.

Tim
              Tim Weber

Comment

lift rails/handles

Subject is vague to me , i have come into possession of an old runabout that has handles to aid in picking/lifting boat,my thinking for pit crew to lift on start.
                These are about 16" length, at any rate easily altered.
                Runabouts are a happening thing.

RichardKCMo
                RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Lift rails

I forgot to say if anyone is getting rid of old merc in favour of the newer Yamato moters, I'll take all the 44s you can find.I know know know.
                  ANYHOW CHEAPER THAN ebAY
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                  X