About those cockpit walls . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About those cockpit walls . . .

Our PRO boat racing friends across the Big Pond are required to have reenforced cockpit walls, a good idea. I believe Mark Johnson (MJR) has the knowledge, skill, and equipment to build reenforced cockpits, and I think the Altralite carbon fiber walls would qualify. But many boat buyilders, especially hobbiests who build one or two boats a year for personal racing use, do not have the equipment to construct a reenforced cockpit.

Here's my thought: What if MJR, Altralite, and anyone else who can build a tough cockpit wall produced "blanks", like generic size cockpit walls in sizes: small = A/B, medium = 220/C/D, large various big honking MOD and PRO boats. A backyard builder, or even a production builder, could purchase cockpit walls, trim them to fit their particul;ar design, install same in their boat using approved cockpit-to-hull connection techniques, and we would have safer boats!
    carpetbagger

Easily

They are easy to make, and relativley inexpensive. All my boats I have built recently would more than qualify for the rules. You don't need fancy equipment, just a table. Fancy equipment helps, but is not required.

Here is what my walls are made of normally:

Start with boat on jig with a skin of 3mm or 4mm plywood as the cockpit. Once flipped and deck in on, I lay up on my vac*** table a layer of carbon, twill weave and all that good stuff, a layer of E-glass then place between 1/2" or 3/4" Last-A-Foam down (closed cell poly foam available from Wicks Aircraft Supply), then I place another layer of glass down, been using some tri-axial stuff that is real stiff and light, then another layer of carbon. This is all very neatly wet out as you go, no skimping on the West System or high density filler. I then bag this for the night. One could at this point lay some Mylar or release film over this and then place a piece of plywood over it and weight it with cememt bricks or something and get the same effect as bagging would.

Not sure if it meets the rules of UIM because they require Kevlar I think. I like the combo of E-Glass and Graphite better, just a personal preferenc I guess since I am not making UIM cockpits.

I can tell you that these walls hurt like an SOB when you try to go through them when you hook in the corner.....
    Last edited by Dave M; 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Comment

UIM rules require kevlar to be layed up on the cockpit side on to the deck for 4". The problem with using kevlar or spectra is, when you sand it the fibers fuzz up.
      Another problem with kevlar and spectra is, they don't bond well with resins.
      Dave's suggestion of how to make a cockpit side is a good one. The key to making a strong cockpit side is to use fibers ( glass, carbon or kevlar) that lie +-45degrees to the length of the boat on both sides of the core.
      I do make cockpit sides for anyone who wants them, but they are expensive, $20sqft.

Comment

????

I have know idea how as small as some boats are a person can not justify building in strengh? Dave Mason said it best, WHAT THE HELL DOES SAFTY COST? Anyhow ???
        Originally posted by arltralite
        UIM rules require kevlar to be layed$up on the cockpit side on to the deck for 4". The problem with using kevlar or spectra is, when you sand it the fibers fuzz up.
        Another problem with kevlar and spectra is, they don't bond well with resins.
        Dave's suggestion of how to make a cockpit side is a good one. The key to making a strong cockpit side is to use fibers ( glass, carbon or kevlar) that lie +-45degrees to the length of the boat on both sides of the core.
        I do make cockpit sides for anyone who wants them, but they are expensive, $20sqft.
        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

not sure what safety costs . . .

but I am aware of what a LACK of safety costs. How many racers were chopped up before kill switchs were mandated? How many cuts were stitched before kevlar suits were mandated? How many racers took an ambulance ride because their cockpit wall collapsed like wet cardboard when they got T-boned?

There is no such thing as "safe", but risk can be managed.
          carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
          X