H block ???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H block ???????

I have a 44 that i am setting up for my D-Mod. The question i have is, What is the deal with the H stamped on the side. There is no (...super thunderbolt)stamped on the side, just an (H). I was told this was a good block to go with. Whats the difference between it and a Mark 58. The block still had the factory Seal on it and it had alum. reed blocks. center spark plugs.
    Just curious if anyone knew anything about this thing.

Thanks
    Ron Wright
    West Coast Mod Guy

Ron,
    The H signified a racing style block that came with a racing lower unit. The port timing is slightly faster than its fishing engine sister.

Hope that helps.

_paul Fuchslin

Comment

Paul, there were no factory 44ci H's

Aluminum reed cages means 1960's production rather than 1950's

A picture would be worth more than a thousand words in this case

What is the serial number stamped into the top of the block?

Comment

thanks

Thanks for the reply guys.
        I was wondering the same thing that Sam pointed out. Mark 58 H? The funny thing about this block is that it is blank on the side where (Full Julled super thunderbolt) should be. It only has a small H stamped on the side. the only numbers that i could find on the top were 173 and a couple of numbers and letters scattered around the top such as c z o a. on the bottom of the block neer the #4 cyl there was 831-1866. The block had never been opened prior to me. Looks like a mark 58 but with out the (full julled...). It has ka2 and a stock flywheel with alt windings, and small pin rods. I will see if my father can take a picture and e-mail it to me.
        thanks
        Ron Wright
        West Coast Mod Guy

Comment

Insert Picture

I have tried to cut and paste a picture but can't. Any help with doing this would be much apprecitated.
          Thanks
          Ron
          West Coast Mod Guy

Comment

Pictures have to conform to maximum size 640 wide by 480 high

if you can't resize it, just send it to me and I will fix it for you:

Mark75H@aol.com

Comment

block ID

Ron,
              The 831-1866 is the part# for the block and happens to be for a marc 58,58A,merc 400.
              The lack of a serial# on the top side of the block (which should match the # on the ID plate) and with aluminum reed cages tells me it was a factory replacement powerhead someone installed in the distant past. Perfectly good block however to use as a D stock (under new rules) or D mod. The next later block which some of the river racers prefered was the 831-2414#. This casting has a boss on the bottom side to accept an exhaust extention
              "tuner". which all future 44 blocks used but with a couple of design changes.
              I would be supprised to learn that mercury produced a "special" powerhead for a 58H.

sasbenson

Comment

Originally posted by 79-0-DMH-Ron
                The question i have is, What is the deal with the H stamped on the side. There is no (...super thunderbolt)stamped on the side, just an (H). I was told this was a good block to go with.

Thanks
                Ron Wright
                Sounds like a good block to build a C mod with to me.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6
                  Sounds like a good block to build a C mod with to me.
                  hee hee .... too bad it has siamese intake covers
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sam
                    hee hee .... too bad it has siamese intake covers
                    so, late model MK30's do also..........
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I never knew that there was more to some of these Mercs than?

I have a stock block later model Merc Anniversary Special Merc 500 and all I thought these were sticker jobs for birthday sales. It came with KC2 carbs instead of KAs and had 50 Horsepower at the prop. I have not checked the port timing yet, one can only wonder if there isn't a surprise there too?

Comment

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Ron
                        West Coast Mod Guy

Comment

Working...
                        X