Lower Units - MOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Units - MOD

Does anyone know if the Yamato Hatchet Style gear box with the spiral cut gears will still be manufactured for a while ? I heard a rumor they were going to discontinue the model. If so, is there a replacement for it from Yamato ?

I think we have several gear boxes to choose from now, someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Yamato
    Konny
    VRP ?
    Steve Roskowski ????

Merc - to difficult to locate anything decent anymore, and more expensive than the others if you find someone with a hoard of parts.

Some others exist that are unique to I believe, Inson for one, oldie but goodie.

Can someone help me put together a complete list of Gear Boxes, NEW only please, that is available for purchase immediately for lets say a rookie, or even a veteran?

Thanks for the help.
    Dave Mason
    Just A Boat Racer

Bass Machines
    93-C

Comment

I know many mod racers who run the Bass Machines Lower Unit with great success.

VRP is not making lower units at this time.

Steve Litzell has the Konny Unit's available.

As far as Yamato goes. I've been told the Yamato factory does not stock any Pro parts. All Pro parts including the hatchet lower units are custom built to order. Last I heard Ric Montoya has been waiting 6+ months for a shipment of lower units.

On the flip side, you will soon be seeing a New Lower Unit hitting the market. Not sure what gear ratio's will be available, but I know many of the popular pro ratio's will be available.

Sattler
      Sattler Racing R-15
      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
      TEAM VRP
      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Rex Hall has (had?) new Rossi lower units.

Dave
        I always thought growing up would be cool, I was wrong!
        The other day GG laughed at me because I take more pills a day than she does....

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_E71
          Rex Hall has (had?) new Rossi lower units.

Dave
          Correct Dave, Rex should have some as well. I didn't mean to leave him out.

I've got a used Rossi 12/15 foot, with all new guts for sale
          Sattler Racing R-15
          350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
          TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

KONNY units are as follows:
            11:15 small gear
            12:15 small gear
            12:15 big gear
            14:15 big gear
            in future 12:14 big gear
            Prices for gear box complete is 1295.00 dollars plus shipping to you.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve77t
              KONNY units are as follows:
              11:15 small gear
              12:15 small gear
              12:15 big gear
              14:15 big gear
              in future 12:14 big gear
              Prices for gear box complete is 1295.00 dollars plus shipping to you.
              Steve

The 12:15 ratio is popular in the AOF 102 mod class and the NBRA 25 mod class. It would probably be a good C mod ratio too if it were legal.... (It is in AOF. It isn't in NBRA. I don't know about APBA.)

14:15 works well for D/E mod.

Sure would be nice to see a 1:1 ratio for us 44 racers that run 1:1.....

I'd bet that an overdrive would be popular with the FE/SE racers if the units can handle the torque of those motors.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6
                Sure would be nice to see a 1:1 ratio for us 44 racers that run 1:1.....

I'd bet that an overdrive would be popular with the FE/SE racers if the units can handle the torque of those motors.
                Bass makes a great 1:1 lower unit. It is very popular in the d/e classes out west.

There are many great lower units available. No need to cry about availability, just open your wallet and buy one, two, or even three......
                Sattler Racing R-15
                350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                TEAM VRP

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Bass

I did not mean to leave Bass out. I have one.

Is the bass foot easily adapted to say a merc tower ? Like the XS, without any trouble ? I know he offered a complete setup for like $1800.00 or something once, tower and unit. More than most mod guys want to spend I think, but it is there.

I have found in Mod there are so many towers, a ton of Parker towers still around and being used, that guys look for a gear box only, minus tower that they can simply bolt on, with or without an adaptor plate, for around $800.00 - $1200.00 range.

Interesting to see the range of boxes being used in different regions, Bass out west, Hatchet and Merc around midwest, in the east not sure if anything is dominate.

Also, if Konny made some 1:1 gears, that would be awesome. Very inexpensive bolt on unit, narrow profile, and if I recall right, the propshaft is shouldered so the gear can't slip like it does on my in the Yamato Hatchet foot.

I have not seen the newer Bass unit, does it still need the pin through the midsection to insert into the lower unit ? That is why I never adapted mine to a Parker tower, the way it was set up, it was not easy to do.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

the tooling cost for 1:1 gears is more than what could be sold. Like any manufacturing cost, this cost must be made up for in sales. There is not enough guys wanting 1:1 gears to make it profitable so Konny will not be interested. If I receive enough orders for them then I can see if Konny will do.
                    Steve

Comment

konny?

Steve; -would it not be feasible, and economical, for Konny to assemble a few big cases as one tooth over, ie; 15:14, using the OEM 14:15 gears.
                      Big immediate advantage to FE/SE is smaller props more readily available.
                      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
                      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Originally posted by pro350hydro
                        Bass makes a great 1:1 lower unit. It is very popular in the d/e classes out west.

There are many great lower units available. No need to cry about availability, just open your wallet and buy one, two, or even three......

I know about the Bass units. I meant that it would be nice if Konny units were available in 1:1 ratio.... There aren't a lot of choices if you want to run 1:1. Bass, Merc, and ??? The Yamato units have been available in 1:1 in the past, but I don't know if they are available at all now. Are they?

What is the toughest lower unit out there? i.e. One that will hold up to an FE/SE.... What lower units are used on 700cc and 1100cc hydros?

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by bh/
                          Steve; -would it not be feasible, and economical, for Konny to assemble a few big cases as one tooth over, ie; 15:14, using the OEM 14:15 gears.
                          Big immediate advantage to FE/SE is smaller props more readily available.
                          The Konny/König type gears are made so that the pinion shaft and pinion gear are one piece, not like the Merc or early Yamato type that broke or spun on the pinion. König used to make this type but gave up do to the slippage and gear failure.

Comment

Originally posted by David_L6
                            I know about the Bass units. I meant that it would be nice if Konny units were available in 1:1 ratio.... There aren't a lot of choices if you want to run 1:1. Bass, Merc, and ??? The Yamato units have been available in 1:1 in the past, but I don't know if they are available at all now. Are they?

What is the toughest lower unit out there? i.e. One that will hold up to an FE/SE.... What lower units are used on 700cc and 1100cc hydros?
                            Most 500/1100 guy's use 14:15 gear ratio. Even the few that have 14:14 tend to go back to the 14:15 for acceloration reasons. To be clear on this if ya'll want some 1:1 gears Konny will make them but I think a mininum order would be about 40/50 seats to make it profitable for them to take the time for tooling and such. after that then it is no problem for 1 set at a time
                            Steve

Comment

Thanks Guys

Thanks Guys,

Trying to get a grasp on what is out there ready to go, off the shelf.

Steve, won't Yamato gears fit the Konny's and vica versa ?

David L6 - Merc units hold up very well under the 3 holer, but good luck finding one ready to go, at a reasonable cost. Funny how stuff that has not been produced for many many years is still in hot demand and nobody wants to change. I have luck with Bass as well, and Yamato. Granted, gears in all but Bass will go about a season maybe two. I have not run the Bass hard for a full season to test.

In Yamato I never have blown gears, but the dam gear slips, and once that happens it is hell gone wild. Even though pinning them prolongs the slippage, it still happens. I think Konny has a shoulder on the shaft for the bearings to rest against so this does not happen. Steve will correct me if I am wrong.
                              Dave Mason
                              Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Working...
                              X