yamato 302 foot disasembly ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamato 302 foot disasembly ?

I am trying to change the prop shaft in my yamato 302 foot and don't know how. I have taking the cone and gear assembly out of the unit but don't know how to get the shaft out. Do you press of the gear off first and then press out the shaft toward the cone?? It's new and I don't want to tear it up. Thanks for any help.

Keivn
    "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Kevin, I haven't taken a 302 apart but the other yamatos have been easy. Take the vertical drive shaft out first. Then after removing the tail cone which is left hand thread, the drive shaft should virtually fall out. Jack

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jack but the propshaft is what I am trying to change. When you get the cone out of the case the bearings and seals are all together with the gear. That is what I am having trouble getting apart. I am not 100% sure it is a 302 unit, it could be a 202. It is one that we are trying under the 44 and the stock shaft has the shear pin hole up close to the cone. We need one that has the hole at the end of the shaft. I have a new shaft but don't know how to disassemble the old one.

Kevin
      "I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin McAfee
        Thanks for the reply Jack but the propshaft is what I am trying to change. When you get the cone out of the case the bearings and seals are all together with the gear. That is what I am having trouble getting apart. I am not 100% sure it is a 302 unit, it could be a 202. It is one that we are trying under the 44 and the stock shaft has the shear pin hole up close to the cone. We need one that has the hole at the end of the shaft. I have a new shaft but don't know how to disassemble the old one.

Kevin

Kevin, that foot is a 302 foot that I bought new from Montoya for you. You do have to press it all apart. First, remove the retaining ring and the metal washer on the prop shaft side of the tailcone....
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Daren, we got it changed out tonight. Art Kampen called dad and had a good idea for removing the propshaft seal so you can get to the ring clips. Take a plastic 16 oz. soda bottle and cut out the big end. Next place the bottle over the cone assembly from the end with the gear on it. Drill a small hole in the bottle cap for an air hose blower to fit into. Clamp the bottle on the cone assembly with a hose clamp and put some air pressure in the bottle to push out the prop shaft seal. It took a little time but it finally came out. This way you don't tear up the seal with a screwdriver or something sharp. Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

Comment

Good Idea!

That bottle of soda is cheaper than a seal and tastes a whole lot better!

Comment

yamato

Do you want to know a tool that works great for removing the tail cone....
              you can buy at any auto parts store....

its a big socket for removing front axel nuts on early 70's to mid 80's chevy 4x4 trucks It fits perfect and its less than 20.00 and availiable every where...

my 2 cents...

mike

Comment

macafee

hey kevin , call me i forgot to get your number at the races, 205-302-0822 thanks, kevin nichols

Comment

302 foot and 102 foot

Can a 302 foot be used on a 102 and 102 foot on a 302?

Comment

Kinda!

It is legal to use a 302 gearfoot on a 102 but not legal to use a 102 gearfoot
                    on a 302. Plus I think the water pickup will not work very well with the
                    102 foot to the 302 motor.
                    Dennis 21Z

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO21Z
                      It is legal to use a 302 gearfoot on a 102 but not legal to use a 102 gearfoot
                      on a 302. Plus I think the water pickup will not work very well with the
                      102 foot to the 302 motor.
                      Dennis 21Z
                      Would a 102 foot not pump enough water to cool the 302? Is there a speed difference that makes it illegal or just that they are tougher to find?

Comment

Originally posted by DougMc
                        Would a 102 foot not pump enough water to cool the 302? Is there a speed difference that makes it illegal or just that they are tougher to find?

the reason it is not legal to use the 102 foot on a 302 is because the SORC did not want the use of "old parts on a newer motor, where the gear foot can still be purchased new. Kinda a silly rule, if you ask me......
                        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

IllEagle

From what i here thats apba fer ya. NBRA need apply.
                          RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

The only difference between a 102 and 302 gear case is the tail cone. I have been told by fast racers that a 302 gear case is 1 mph slower on a hydro. Never tested to find out if it is true or just a myth.
                            bill b

Comment

Working...
                            X