lift rails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift rails?

Does anyone know the rules on what might be lift rails in the mod classes. I have a De Silva 250 runabout that looks to small for the current rossi 250, and to big for a 125. looks like a perfect "C" mod boat but it has these lift rails on the outside edges, are they good to go in the mod classes or do I have to cut them off?
    Attached Files
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

2005 Mod Tech Manual - Hulls 1 i

The rule reads : Lifting rails such as those used on DeSilva "Pro" racing runabouts are permitted.

You are good to go.

Comment

rule 20 (2)1 h page 25 in Mod lifting rails are allowed
      bill b

Comment

ahhh...very cool, thanks guys..do you think the lift rails will help with the fact that the planing surface is only 24" wide....why do they do this??? do the lift rails compinsate for the lack of air the hull traps with only 24"??
        Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Sonny,

The lift rails probably help if you are going really fast, like 80 plus. The main reason for having them on a KR style boat is to help lift it out of the water when cranking it.

Desilva has put these on boats going back to the 50's. If you are planning at all on running this in stock, don't. The boat police will get you. I was thrown out at Ocoee for having these on my new Desilva CSR. The term was negative dead rise. I am still waiting for the official definition in the appendix of the rule book. Can you tell I'm still sore.

Tim
          Tim Weber

Comment

Back in the day when everyone ran center fins, the "lift rails" were installed to help turn the boat at slower speeds. The deeper you made them the more the boat would "hook up" at slower speeds. As they came in contact with the water they would raise up the left side of the boat and help to roll the boat to the outside. Not sure if you have ever experienced that feeling, but the first time it happens it is a little spooky.

-Paul

Comment

Working...
            X