Weight vs Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight vs Speed

any thaughts on how much speed is gained or lost based on addition or subtraction of weight ? I have been able to shed 20# this winter and wonder how much performance will be gained (if Any) say in a CHS ? signed, not as fat as last season.!!

My OSY 400 runs 1.5 MPH faster with someone 30 lbs lighter and my 20SSH runs about 2 MPH faster with someone 30 lbs lighter.

Comment

I've heard people say 10 lbs is 1 mph around the track. Acceleration is what will change with change in weight, moreso than top end. Losing 20# has got to help.

Comment

What I Have Found

My weight is 195 nicks weight is 145 the top speed is the same but the corner speed is diffrent which means the lighter guy goes around the race coarse faster unless you have to add weight or if it is rough
        paul

Comment

Weight

Weight has to do a lot with racing, but sometimes it can be eliminated if the equipment is fast enough. When I ran Astock stuff I was over 30 lbs over weight and was doing just fine. I set the 1 and 1/4 mile record for FAH at about 25-30lbs over wieght because the equipment was fast. In OSY though is a little different. At nationals this last year I was one of the top 7 there and when I went toe to toe with Billy Allen I had just as much top end, but the corner speed wasn't there because I'm about 180lbs and Billy is what, 140ish. So it think weight has to do a lot with Cstock stuff.

Kyle Bahl
          20R
          Kyle Bahl
          20-R

"He didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you, he rubbed you, and rubbin' son is racin'!"

Comment

I picked up 3 mph right out of the box last year with my Arltralite. I went from 33 lbs over with my wood boat to 2lb over with the Arltralite.

There was also a huge gain was in acceleration.

Comment

Great news... I just ate . No more food till next year. I hate diets... more so when I am on them but it is the best and cheapest speed you can buy. It has a really big advantage off the track too... we live longer.

Thanks for the reminder I will keep at it.

PS. If you could please stop buy my pits and eat all of Momma C.'s treats that would help me with my diet too. If I can't drop the pounds, I sure can fatten you up! Oh, she delivers too. Just ask the Parker-Robb boys.

B

Comment

ok here's the engineering side to it...
                F=ma, or Force = mass x acceleration
                Lets assume if the engine stays the same (no changes to the engine) then your force stays the same.
                So, if you decrease the mass by say 10% 495 pounds to 450 pounds overall weight, then you will effectively see a 10% increase in acceleration over the previous weight.

Now where this gets tricky is displacement hulls (runabouts) vs. non displacement hulls (hydros). You have to consider frictional drag due to the water. If in fact, with a runabout, one can effectively reduce the displacement by reducing the weight, then one will see a speed gain, Assuming the lift balance between the weight change and the lift of the boat doesn 't blow one over backwards. I would expect that most boats are built for the weight class (stock) then when one is over the weight design, then the boat would have more drag, hence less speed. Get the boat "loose" and the faster you will go. Back to the original point - physics tends to rule all...
                Sorry for the rambling here

-Paul

Comment

[QUOTE=alky6]ok here's the engineering side to it...
                  Lets assume if the engine stays the same (no changes to the engine) then your force stays the same.
                  So, if you decrease the mass by say 10% 495 pounds to 450 pounds overall weight, then you will effectively see a 10% increase in acceleration over the previous weight.

**** engineers...............

Joe

Comment

[QUOTE=Joe J]
                    Originally posted by alky6
                    ok here's the engineering side to it...

**** engineers...............

Joe
                    no kidding Joe!!!!!!!!!

so Paul, can you tell me what this means in cave man terms? Oh ya, how is married life treatin' ya?????
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                      no kidding Joe!!!!!!!!!

so Paul, can you tell me what this means in cave man terms? Oh ya, how is married life treatin' ya?????
                      Daren, It's the same thing I've been trying with Kevin Martin. I keep trying to invite him to lunch so he will eat more double cheese burgers, gain more weight, then he will keep the boat at a safer (slower) speed. Hey everyone needs a plan right? However, he doesn't think it is as funny as I do...

Sattler
                      Sattler Racing R-15
                      350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
                      TEAM VRP
                      The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy
                        no kidding Joe!!!!!!!!!

ugh. me likem go fast out of corners. Quit eating whole brontisaurus. Stick to playing with wife. Drag wife around by hair--lose weight, ugh.

Comment

ugh. me likem go fast out of corners. Quit eating whole brontisaurus. Stick to playing with wife. Drag wife around by hair--lose weight, ugh.
                          I'd like to nominate this as the best reply of the year!

That's some funny $#@* Paul.
                          93-C

Comment

hey Paul, now that I can understand!!!!!! Maybe you been sniffin' too much alky???/
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Akers
                              I'd like to nominate this as the best reply of the year!

That's some funny $#@* Paul.
                              darn N.Cal guys..........
                              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X