Motor question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor question...

what kind of motors can we run in stock and mod? can we us any motor that is 15hp or less or is there a hp ruling out there. I was just a thinking this dum question due to I was thinking about a merc or johnson motor for the stock or the mod class. can some one or lot of people help this dummy out. I had at one time a pro boat a pugh with 2 konig motors and I was so dum in selling the rig I wish I didn't. I don't know nothing thats why I'm asking this dum question. so be easy on me and don't laugh to hard.. I wanted to race and now I will....

Thanks
    Bryan "blue" Leone

Welcome back!

Bryan,
    Each Category has certain approved engines. What you need to do
    is ask yourself a few questions...
    1 What Category can I race in that is in my region most frequently.
    2 How fast do you want to race.
    3 How much do you want to invest.
    4 How much do you weigh.
    5 Do you want a low maint. engine or do you like to work on them alot.
    There are more questions to answer to get you to a point of deciding what
    to race, but that is a good start.
    Once you decide what you want to run ie.. Stock,Mod, or Pro then you can
    find out what class best fits your speed desire, and your weight,
    then you can find out which engine will be legal for the class you want to race in and start looking for equipment.
    Hope this helps.
    Dennis 21Z
    North Carolina

Comment

More info.

Dennis is right. Also, you can download a copy of the Stock outboard inspection manual from the APBA website. You can also download lots of other info from that site too. I'll post the link to the page below.
      Do you know of any racers who live nearby that could help you get started?
      SO_insp_manual
      Welcome back, and good luck.

Comment

Good luck in finding the right motor to race. I wish we had a class or two with a lower barrier to entry (and I don't mean cost) so people like you would have an easier time. Listen to Dennis and Jeff, those are good points. In general, most small outboard racing (stock and mod) is done with specified engines. You have to know what you are looking for and the best way to go about learning it is to find someone in your area that can teach you. If you can't find someone to help, go to the next race and start asking questions. Let people know that you are seriously interested in buying a rig. I'm sure you'll be able to find people willing to take at least a few minutes to talk.

Comment

More things to ponder

Dennis provides good advice...

A few additional things to consider,

1) How much do you want to spend
          2) How much do you enjoy tinkering on engines
          3) How far are you willing to travel to race
          4) How fast are you comfortable going (this hard to determine until you have been in a small boat that goes 50mph or faster)

New or virtually new Stock and PRO engines are available today that require little set-up in order to go racing. If you like to work on engines and to experiment with different configurations then Mod classes may offer a good alternative. It is probably best to attend a race in your area and see if you can obtain a ride.
          David Weaver

Comment

Shameless Plug

Bryan,
            You have already taken the best possible "first step". You have hooked up to THE premier outboard racing website/chatgroup. If you log in everyday and read all the messages on these forums, you'll learn a lot in a month. You'll kinda' get it sideways (since it won't be organized and carefully laid out for you like a "Cliff's Notes" book) but you'll get it, nonetheless.
            Now for the other shameless plug: Come to the Zanesville Stock/Mod/Pro Outboard Racing Swap Meet on 2-3 April. This event is exactly what you need to get started in racing. Again, www.hydroracer.net is the place to get details and directions. At the swap meet you will find dozens of racers, a few boatbuilders, engine guru's and racing club officials here to answer your questions. We will have up to 50 vendors, clubs, teams, and racing enthusiasts selling complete rigs, safety equipment, new and used boats, engines, trailers, etc. They'll have the time and motivation to spend time with you to make sure you get what you need. Questions? Call me at 740-754-2097. Mike Marshall, Raceboat61-S (swap meet coordinator)

Comment

Working...
            X