How wide can it be? A hydro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wide can it be? A hydro.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW WIDE CAN A HYDRO BE ?? CAN WE MAKE THE SPONSONS ADJUSTABLE? DO THEY HAVE TO FIXED TO THE COCK PIT? OR DOES THE RIG HAVE TO RESEMBLE A HYDRO OR CAN IT JUST BE A 3 TO 4 POINT RACE BOAT IN THE WEIGHT GROUP. VERY NEW AND DON'T HAVE A RULE BOOK YET....

A hydro is (most of the time) a boat that doesn't qualify as a runabout. A very few classes have restrictions on things like airtrap width and length.

What class are you interested in?

Comment

I Would Like To Try Stock Or Even Mod But Not To Sure.
      Thanks For The Info. I Have A Boat In Mind But Not To Sure If I Will Build It Or Not.

Comment

Stock, MOD and PRO hydros are reasonably unen***bered by any design limitations. PRO has a maximum sponson length requirement but that is about the only technical limitation. There may be some safety rules such as the fin may not protrude but the basic hull is open to your creative ideas. Unlike runabouts where innovation is routinely discouraged and legislated out, hydro innovation is the entire point of building a hydro.

Comment

96" wide . . .

or if your boat is wider plan on building an angle bed trailer like the big inboards use so you can tow "Mz Wide Bottom" to the race without getting a traffic citation or a special use permit.
          carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by hydroplay
            Unlike runabouts where innovation is routinely discouraged and legislated out, .

That is the whole idea of runabouts. They aren't supposed to hold and pack air like hydroplanes. If people didn't build illegal boats it wouldn't even be an issue.
            Ryan Runne
            9-H
            Wacusee Speedboats
            ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Huson
              so you can tow "Mz Wide Bottom" to the race
              Hey, easy now, I use to date her!
              " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
              Art Pugh

Comment

96" wide? How do I get a rule book or does any one have an extra one they don't mind parting with. ? I really need one..

Comment

Steady....

Originally posted by LE1
                  96" wide? How do I get a rule book or does any one have an extra one they don't mind parting with. ? I really need one..
                  Don't take all those folks above jostling each other serious. If you want to design something, that would be terrific. It is refreshing to see new blood and an open mind. If you go to APBA website, link is provided on this website, and go to the category specs on there, you can download all the technical info you want.

There are a lot of folks who will give you advice, just make sure you have the basics down, attend a few races and measure up the winners boat and then you might be able to formulate some ideas in your head. Or you can look at several pictures and form a plan. At any rate, don't let folks discourage you.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Attn: Le1 !!!

I wuz kidding about the 96" bit. Our boats aren't even close to 96" wide. Like Dave said, grab a camera and a notebook and go to a race. Ask questions and ask for permission before you get out a protractor and tape to measure a boat.
                    Hydros are tough because as a few have pointed out, NO RULES! Well, J and A class have a couple boat rules, but everything else is wide open.
                    carpetbagger

Comment

I Thought Some Was Playing A Joke On Me About The 96" Since I Was The New Kid On The Block. I Under Stand Now.. I Have Been To A Few Races And The Lock Have Race Made The Bug Hit Me Over The Head. I Even Talk To Mr Runne At The Race And I Even Been To His Shop In N.c. As Well. Thank For All The Info That I Have Been Getting You Are All Great. Thanks Again....
                      Last edited by LE1; 02-02-2005, 10:48 AM. Reason: MISSED SPEELED NAME "MR RUNNE NAME"

Comment

Hydro Width...

To LE1,

I hope you pursue your racing interests. If you are going to build your own boat, I would suggest getting plans from the class of boat you are interested in racing. In other words, from a design that is currently running well in your class. You can see on this web site that Mark Johnson has plans.

Then after a few years you could design your own boat and go from there. This way you can get a few racing years of experience.

Or, start out by buying a used boat that is running well in the class you are interested in racing.

Good Luck and welcome to the Boat Racing Crowd!!!!!!!!!

Dean Hobart
                        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Get yourself a Tec-Craft!

Comment

Tec-craft

Who Makes These Boats Are They Kits Or Pre-built? And How Good Are They?

Comment

Tec-Craft

To LE1,

Tom Cronk.... Lakland, Florida. 863-665-5449.

Good Luck.

Dean Hobart
                              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                              X