Tohatsu speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tohatsu speed

What speed are you APBA guys getting with a Tohatsu on a Hydro? And the speed on a 44XS. Which motor would win most of the time in a race? Lets try and not exaggerate the speed, I know everybody is fast but not 85MPH fast.

Larry McAfee

Here is the dyno report...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50768961,d.b2I

I think this will tell you what you need to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Larry M View Post
      What speed are you APBA guys getting with a Tohatsu on a Hydro? And the speed on a 44XS. Which motor would win most of the time in a race? Lets try and not exaggerate the speed, I know everybody is fast but not 85MPH fast.

Larry McAfee
      Larry, I have never seen over 81MPH running a 3 blade..............most races I run in the high 70's...........I have heard other Tohatsu racers saying they run 81-82, but have yet to see them pass me on the outside...........hope this help........

as to motors and comparisons.......well, it can be a toss up.........a Merc seems to be faster on the LONG courses and Tohatsu on shorter courses......thats what I have observed and raced the last 6yrs.....
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
        Larry, I have never seen over 81MPH running a 3 blade..............most races I run in the high 70's...........I have heard other Tohatsu racers saying they run 81-82, but have yet to see them pass me on the outside...........hope this help........

as to motors and comparisons.......well, it can be a toss up.........a Merc seems to be faster on the LONG courses and Tohatsu on shorter courses......thats what I have observed and raced the last 6yrs.....
        This is the information I was looking for. Altho the dyno is nice real world speed on the water is what I am after. Our 40ci D hydro runs the same as your boat , in the high 70's might have seen 80 once testing props but not for racing.

Thanks
        Larry Mac

Comment

I have both tohatsu and a 44, if my tohatsu breaks down I can have new parts in a few days. It is a very easy motor to work on. the merc does good on the topend but the tohatsu can get up and go better out of the turns. and the electric start is nice to. my boat runs in the low 70s as well. goes like hell with the 4 blade for FE.

Comment

Originally posted by pstock800 View Post
            I have both tohatsu and a 44, if my tohatsu breaks down I can have new parts in a few days. It is a very easy motor to work on. the merc does good on the topend but the tohatsu can get up and go better out of the turns. and the electric start is nice to. my boat runs in the low 70s as well. goes like hell with the 4 blade for FE.
            What kind of speed are you talking about without any restriction on height and props on the Tohatsu.

Thanks
            Larry Mac

Comment

Tohatsu

The fastest I have ever seen either testing or racing with my Tohatsu is 82.9. Don't know how accurate in boat GPS units are but I think that is pretty close. The 44XS in my opinion is faster on a long course....but like other people have said you can get ALL parts for the Tohatsu D motor brand new. That means something to me. Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveracerdsh View Post
                The fastest I have ever seen either testing or racing with my Tohatsu is 82.9. Don't know how accurate in boat GPS units are but I think that is pretty close. The 44XS in my opinion is faster on a long course....but like other people have said you can get ALL parts for the Tohatsu D motor brand new. That means something to me. Dave
                Good information keep them coming.

Thanks
                Larry Mac

Comment

Tohatsu D rig for sale

I have a complete Tohatsu D rig I am going to be selling at the end of the season if anybody is interested.

Comment

From what I am hearing on this board and thru private messages a Tohatsu without a height restriction and a 4 blade prop should be able run in the high 70's on a hydro realistically without too much problem. Is this a true statement???

Larry Mac

Comment

Originally posted by larry m View Post
                      from what i am hearing on this board and thru private messages a tohatsu without a height restriction and a 4 blade prop should be able run in the high 70's on a hydro realistically without too much problem. Is this a true statement???

Larry mac

yes.....on the right boat.....as a 44XS boat will not run good with a Tohatsu..
                      Last edited by mercguy; 08-19-2013, 10:58 PM.
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

I had 78 on my GPS when I had the hydro here in Centralia a couple of times running a 4 blade Mod 25 prop 1:1 gears.

Comment

Tohatsu

A decent Tohatsu D rig in my opinion with one to one gears should be able to run on a mile course with good water in the low 80's all day long. It took both Darren and myself a while to get to where we could see 80.....but...most of it involved props and boat work. Not bragging....but my stock D with the Tohatsu was hitting 90 during kilo trials October 2010 with Aaron Salmon behind the wheel....this was at a height of 3/4 inch below the bottom with my number (now) 2 motor. Darren or any other top quality D rig could do the same. Of course, this was on perfect water...no other boats out there. Anybody thinking of running the class that has the money would be foolish in my opinion to buy a 44xs...as good a motor as it is, unless it came with a lot of spare parts. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

55h

Not highjacking Just inquisitive, where would the 55H be in this competition speed discussion back when it was the engine in DSH?
                            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Working...
                            X